How many Morgana Lefay fans out there?

DEATHZILLA

Oct 2, 2006
In a battle for my favorite band " Symphony X being the other"! I Just wanted to know how many other people out here like them. This band is so under rated it sickens me! Dark power metal/Thrash at its finest. Symphony of the Damned and Secret Doctrine are 2 discs that remind me of early Savatage " witch we know what the forum thinks of these pioneers" yet Morgana gets no credit? This is a mystery to me. I would think that ProgPower fans would be all over this band like stink on a ape. But so many dont even know who they are? This is a crime. Without going into thier name change ect and all the drama with that, they have 9 cd's out with the core of the real band involved, all on good labels with good production. All the discs have been easy to get as well. Just dont get it. I have listened to a few complaints about the band but they were so insignificant i just ignored them. I am still hopeful they will play ProgPower . I did see them the 2 times they played the states the first time was unreal, the second time Charles the lead singer was sick with the flu and almost didnt make it through the set. And couldnt make it out for the encore. But they need to play the Mighty ProgPower to show what they can due. I guarantee you people would come out and hit the vendors for discs ect!:devil:

I think they are alright, from the couple discs I have had of theirs over the years.

Their live set at Chicago Powerfest in 2006 was beyond pathetic tho.

I am sure booB will slam this comment within minutes, but so be it.

Tried getting into the band a few years back. For some reason, it never really "grabbed" me. Don't remember the reason, but I was put off by it I think.

Maybe I should try it again. Recommendations?

AngraRULES, you and I seem to have a lot in common musically -- I would definitely give ML another try. booB could give you a list of discs you can start with. He converted me exactly 10 years ago on the Savatage forum. He is probably the biggest ML fan in the world.

I only recently heard this long-running band and have started to get into them. The quality that struck me first (the album I heard was Grand Materia) was that they don't necessarily approach their songs from a speed-based or nonstop double-kick-drumming angle but rather from a groovier, more riff-emphasizing perspective. The effect was that while Grand Materia did not immediately bowl me over in a raging fit of power metal fury, but what I found was that track after track, rather than getting tired of it I was liking it more and more but on a level a little bit deeper than just "loud and fast". I've heard some of their albums from the early 90s are good so I'm going to seek out those next.

Their live set at Chicago Powerfest in 2006 was beyond pathetic tho.

I am sure booB will slam this comment within minutes, but so be it.

Maybe if you didn't make comments like "beyond pathetic" without giving a reason, I would respect your opinion more. Their live show was great in 2006. It was phenomenal in 2005. Hence the reason they were asked back.

AngraRULES, you and I seem to have a lot in common musically -- I would definitely give ML another try. booB could give you a list of discs you can start with. He converted me exactly 10 years ago on the Savatage forum. He is probably the biggest ML fan in the world.

LOL

For epic stuff (concept album) fans: Maleficium or Grand Materia
For thrashy stuff fans: Sanctified or Knowing Just As I
For doomy/Sabbathy stuff fans: The Seventh Seal or The Secret Doctrine

With the exception of Aberrations of the Mind (which got slammed by a lot of people for sounding "too modern" (???)) you really can't go wrong with ANY Morgana Lefay as a starting point, but I think these would be the best starts based on one's own preferences. Maybe stay away from Past Present Future at first, too, as it's mostly their early ballads. They are among the best metal ballads ever recorded, but it's probably not what the average metal fan is looking for as a first offering.

ANGRARULES i agree with Boob, if you are into the concept thing try Maleficium, Grand Marteria. If you want your face smashed in thrash Sanctified. "Hell their all good":lol: JASONIC their 2nd show was sub par but like i said charles was sick and the set suffered, but the first time they played was fucking incredible! The energy from that set could have lit NY city for a week! Every band has a sub par set sometimes, i just rolled with it. It still kicked my ass!:devil: But i do see how you came to your conclusion.

I Just wanted to know how many other people out here like them.

Me me me!!! :wave:

This band is so under rated it sickens me! Dark power metal/Thrash at its finest.

QFT. They have never released a disc I don't like, and there aren't too many bands I can say that about. (Disclaimer: I'm not including the S/T album, since that wasn't really a Morgana Lefay album)

But they need to play the Mighty ProgPower to show what they can do. I guarantee you people would come out and hit the vendors for discs ect!:devil:

Agreed wholeheartedly. :headbang:

Hmmm...I sense a sponsorship bid coming on. :)

Steph

they were super sloppy at Powerfest. That is why Jason said they were "Beyone Pathetic". After Nocturnal Rites played any band would have had a hard time topping thier performance. ML got on stage and had zero stage presence and can across as a local act in quality of thier performance. I was never a fan and thier performance never made me want to try out thier stuff after the show. I have heard a bunch of thier stuff online before the show and it wasnt the type of power metal I like.

How amazing life is. their set was sub par when they came out after Nocturnal Rites, singer was sick with the flu and throwing up, That would put a damper on any bands set. With that said if it would have been the year before their would have been no competition! Morgana Lefay put on a show that fucking killed beyond belief! No band that night could have upstaged them. They were all business, and kicked total ass! If that set would have been at Prog people would still be praising it!:devil:

Thanks TWSTDRSTEPH I would sponser this band in a heart beat! and i have with you included 6 people in my camp waiting for the chance:headbang:

they were super sloppy at Powerfest. That is why Jason said they were "Beyone Pathetic". After Nocturnal Rites played any band would have had a hard time topping thier performance.

Well, this is true!!!
I would not want to follow Nocturnal Rites live.
They put on a 100% flawless performance.

booB - Don't know how much more specific I could be. The whole band seemed off. I know they had some technical problems. In terms of people being sick, this I do not know. I did get a couple discs beforehand to check them out and gave them a fair shot live, so I am not just slamming them for the sake of slamming them. They did nothing for me, and as Diabolik said, it never made me go seek out anything else by them.

I would not want to follow Nocturnal Rites live.
They put on a 100% flawless performance.

I've seen some videos of Nocturnal Rites live and they're amazing live. That's probably one of the biggest, if not the biggest reason why I wish I could attend ProgPower this year. I'm still hoping they will pull off a few shows around the festival. I'm praying they'll come and play around NYC.