Surprises there is no thread about tonight's awesomeness

templeofmax

Aug 13, 2009
Longest set I've witnesses at PPUSA!!! Some great stuff. Michael's entrance was pretty cool, although his comment that he wishes his band was there could be miscontrued, although of course he meant well. Getting a Medium t-shirt in the nick of time was worth it.

Today (Friday) will be unbelievable.

Need, Orden Ogan, Leprous, Overkill (3 headbanging mugs each): :kickass::kickass::kickass:
Seventh Wonder: :kickass:
Stratovarius: :kickass::kickass::kickass::kickass:

And of course we will get to meet the Mountain King himself. :kickass::kickass::kickass::kickass::kickass:

Still trying to recover from the awesomeness! Drakeon came out strong and DGM kicked ass! So it was already a great show. And then PM took the stage. Perfect amazing once in a lifetime show unfolded before my eyes. Catching my breath now for tonight's show. Almost time!

Tldr: in the battle between guitar and keyboards, three times, the audience is the winner!

Michael's entrance was pretty cool, although his comment that he wishes his band was there could be miscontrued, although of course he meant well.

This CM fangirl couldn't stop smiling! :) Michael's comment was that PM was "lucky" to be playing - I really don't think any offense was intended.

A brilliant night all the way around. And the VIP experience was fabulous. Really encourage anyone who is interested for next year to participate.

Can't wait for today's festivities! Have been playing "Orvam" nonstop...and have extra Kleenex and a hankie laid out for "Mercy Falls". (Not kidding...)

Was it me or did they seem a lot more loose and relaxed during the second set? Not sure if they were really concentrating on nailing the CE album, but they seemed a little tight. Where in the second set they seemed to be having more fun and an all around better stage presence (smiling etc).

Was it me or did they seem a lot more loose and relaxed during the second set? Not sure if they were really concentrating on nailing the CE album, but they seemed a little tight. Where in the second set they seemed to be having more fun and an all around better stage presence (smiling etc).

It wasn't you. I noticed the same thing. I would imagine it has to do with the unfamiliarity of playing some of those Celestial Entrance songs (even though they have been rehearsed). The second set contained songs that they are used to playing much more frequently.

They also changed into t-shirts for the second half instead of what they wore for the first set.

It wasn't you. I noticed the same thing. I would imagine it has to do with the unfamiliarity of playing some of those Celestial Entrance songs (even though they have been rehearsed). The second set contained songs that they are used to playing much more frequently.

Yea, that is what I was thinking too. I had not seen them before so during that first set I was surprised by the lack of stage presence and energy. I mean, the keyboardist did not look up at the crowd once during BTTMOC, eyes were totally on the keyboard. The bassist seemed like the only one really enjoying it.

Second set was completely different, they all seemed to be smiling, joking and generally more energy/engagement. They sounded awesome during both sets, but it was the second set where they shined as a live band.

To me, DGM was the band of the night. Put on a stellar, energetic performance. I thank Nathan for bringing them back since I missed them the first time. I love Pagan's Mind, but with that said, that was almost too much for me. Part of it I think is that after a while, a number of their songs sounded too samey to me. Part of this is probably because I feel the setlist should have been shaken up a bit more to diversify, i.e. doing more God's Equation stuff. Regardless, they put on a great show. Not many bands can play for that long successfully.

I think Draekon put on a good performance, just wasn't anything special from me. Part of it may be that, while I like the singer, it just isn't catchy enough for its style.