Iron Maiden - Charlotte (no real **spoilers** in here except at the very bottom)

grogg

Sep 9, 2007
South Carolina
First of all, I'm not going to post a setlist since you can find that on Metal Setlists. It obviously has been well anticipated since the setlist thread was started yesterday morning about 12 hours before the show. There shouldn’t be anything in my description below that should give anything away that most people would already know or expect.

Wow, what a show. I haven't seen Maiden since 1985 in Greenville and had never seen Alice Cooper. I dragged my wife along to this one and she is not a heavy metal fan but enjoyed the show. Very surprised by how well Alice Cooper did. His pitch was great and they actually did a pretty good job mixing it. Needless to say, it had lots of the anticipated weird and creepy props and he played most of his classic hits plus a few that I had not heard. Very good set.

The Maiden show was superb. We had great seats – 12th row center. Only a few complaints on the mixing – Bruce’s voice was barely audible the first couple of songs and the drums were a bit loud. They got that straightened out and then it seemed they overcompensated the bass a few songs but finally seemed to settle in. I still think they could have had Bruce’s mic a little louder because it was hard to hear him singing sometimes. The setlist was, as everyone knows, heavy on the Seventh Son songs. They did a great job with the remaining songs, although 2 of my favorites were left out. One big surprise song for me about halfway through the set that even had my wife clapping and cheering and I think it took the crowd a little off guard (from a positive perspective). They had a fairly simple stage setup and basically a different backdrop for each song played plus a variety of props and pyro. Maiden started right at 9:00 and finished at 10:50. Bruce commented on the fact they had not been to Charlotte since 1988 and he announced the crowd at 14,000+ which is pretty good for Charlotte for a weeknight. These guys all looked like they were having a blast, especially Nicko who never stopped grinning, but Dave seemed wiped out by the end.

So, all in all I was extremely pleased with the set and it was well worth the money.

Okay, one tiny little ***spoiler*** below but I think everyone knows this one will be played. I’ll skip a few lines but had to mention it since it was funny.

After we got in the car after the show, my wife wanted to know what the song

“Can I Play With Matches?” was about.

Great show, great pyro, great songs (only a couple surprises)-- I was grinning from ear to ear the whole night. There were 4 of us in our group, one of whom had never seen them before, and they blew his mind...

Yeah, the comments from Bruce were positive-- "we haven't played here since August 9, 1988 and tonight we have 14,000 people here-- and that was supposed to be our heyday..."

Even more excited for Atlanta now.

Is it just me or did it appear that they were possibly going to come out for one more song and then it just ended?

I wonder if there was a curfew issue or something. That *cough* song that was anticipated there-- I expect to see it in Atlanta. That ending was too drawn out to...just end.

Spotted killwhitneytribunal fella about 3 rows ahead of us..

It was a killer show!! It was my first time seeing Maiden and I LOVED it!!!

My only complaint was Iron Maiden's sound. I hate to be "that guy" but the sound was really out of balance. All cymbals and bass. When Adrian started "2MTM" I did not even know what song he was playing. I was struggling to hear Bruce all night as he did not seem to come through the PA unless he was screaming or it was a quiet part.

That, however, did not full detract from how awesome and energetic Iron Maiden is...brilliant...I loved it and I'm glad I went!

Best part? My 19-year old son and I both with our horns in the air belting out Iron Maiden choruses!

Oh, forgot to mention I had a great time not only hanging w/ my son, but also with Matt (Tribunal) and Darren Overcash (from A Thousand Shields). The drive down from High Point and the drive home were both a lot of fun!

SLURPEE COMA!!

I wonder if there was a curfew issue or something. That *cough* song that was anticipated there-- I expect to see it in Atlanta. That ending was too drawn out to...just end.

I know. I had already entered it into my setlist on my phone under Encore 2 - the *cough* song and told my wife "wait until you hear this last one" and then - oh crap - lights came on. It was about 12 minutes until 11:00 and they did have time to squeeze one more in, I think.

I know. I had already entered it into my setlist on my phone under Encore 2 - the *cough* song and told my wife "wait until you hear this last one" and then - oh crap - lights came on. It was about 12 minutes until 11:00 and they did have time to squeeze one more in, I think.

I thought it was kind of obvious they were not going to come out one last time because they started playing music over the PA...like an "outro song"...

Sounds like a good show. "Can I Play With Madness"- nice.

It wasn't quite that long since Maiden played Charlotte (but almost). I saw them in that same venue on the Fear of The Dark tour in 1992. Testament and Corrosion of Conformity opened.

show was awesome! good meeting Zekeyou at the gig briefly! yeah live mix was shaky at best, but the power of Maiden carried through. i think the Carolinas surprised them with our attendance numbers being about 14,000 he said. Bruce made a point of saying it had been too long since they had been back and that they would be back again very soon!

Yes, i gave myself a Slurpee coma on the ride back with Pelata and company!

I took the wife and we both had a great time. We were sitting pretty close on stage right and the view wasn't that great. I don't normally go to large shows like this, so I didn't know what to expect. The sound was off at times, but the show itself was amazing. My wife was singing along and I had no idea she knew any of the lyrics. I forgot what song it was, but I was laughing when Bruce pointed to the pyro and the other side lit up. I enjoyed myself so much that I am thinking of snagging some lawn seats for Atlanta.

show was awesome! good meeting Zekeyou at the gig briefly! yeah live mix was shaky at best, but the power of Maiden carried through. i think the Carolinas surprised them with our attendance numbers being about 14,000 he said. Bruce made a point of saying it had been too long since they had been back and that they would be back again very soon!

Yes, i gave myself a Slurpee coma on the ride back with Pelata and company!

Actually that was me that you met. :) But given the noise during intermission, I could see how Zekeyou sounds like Mosquito. It was good to meet you to finally. I ended up running into a few other PP'ers and even managed to hand out some PP business cards as well. Here's hoping!

Actually that was me that you met. :) But given the noise during intermission, I could see how Zekeyou sounds like Mosquito. It was good to meet you to finally. I ended up running into a few other PP'ers and even managed to hand out some PP business cards as well. Here's hoping!

my bad! hahaha, yes, the noise and i am one deaf motherf**ker you just found out. hahaha. but yeah very cool to meet you.

I took the wife and we both had a great time. We were sitting pretty close on stage right and the view wasn't that great. I don't normally go to large shows like this, so I didn't know what to expect. The sound was off at times, but the show itself was amazing. My wife was singing along and I had no idea she knew any of the lyrics. I forgot what song it was, but I was laughing when Bruce pointed to the pyro and the other side lit up. I enjoyed myself so much that I am thinking of snagging some lawn seats for Atlanta.

that pyro part was pretty funny. at one point it looked like the pyro team was messing with him shooting off the opposite ones he pointed at. i thought it was a riot and goes to show that the show itself is very hands on and not so programmed.

that pyro part was pretty funny. at one point it looked like the pyro team was messing with him shooting off the opposite ones he pointed at. i thought it was a riot and goes to show that the show itself is very hands on and not so programmed.

That was easily the biggest show I've ever been to, but it still felt intimate. It was definitely one of my favorite concerts.

Can anyone tell me how much t-shirts were selling for? I'm gonna want a couple different ones and it would be helpful if I knew how much to budget. Seeing them in Milwaukee for Summerfest on July 4th. Can't wait!!! Thanks!

Can anyone tell me how much t-shirts were selling for? I'm gonna want a couple different ones and it would be helpful if I knew how much to budget. Seeing them in Milwaukee for Summerfest on July 4th. Can't wait!!! Thanks!

The shirts I saw were $40.