Day 2 Thoughts (BG setlist spoilers included)

Oct 4, 2007
Unfortunately, I had to teach a late afternoon class, and thus was not able to make it to the show until almost 7:30 when Pyramaze were winding their set down. What I saw was interesting, but I wish I had been able to catch their entire set (particularly the portion with Matt Barlow on vocals).

Circus Maximus was the only band at this year's festival that I had seen before, as I saw them at the 2013 edition where I remember them putting on an impressive show. I wasn't as blown away this time, but it was still a very good set with moments of brilliance, and one that made me want to pick up their new album (as well as Nine).

Blind Guardian was the one band at the festival that I knew the most going in, having been a fan since 2000 or so. I was particularly stoked that they were playing Imaginations on the Other Side in its entirety, as it is a great album. BTW, I would have preferred it was Nightfall in Middle Earth, but the members had said that would have taken another six months of preparation for them to perform live. Nonetheless, I was really looking forward to this show, having never seen Blind Guardian before.

Unsurprisingly they fully met my expectations, with a blistering set that was particularly awesome when the band was at its thrashiest. Having been seated at the top of the venue, I was able to enjoy watching the occasional mosh-pits break out. The Imaginations songs were excellent, but IMO, it was the other material that elevated the show to another level. I have not picked up their latest album Beyond the Red Mirror, but based on the two songs played that night (Ninth Wave, Holy Grail), I will definitely make that a priority when I check out the vendors room today. However, the true highlight of the evening for me was their rendition of Valhalla, which concluded with a 4-5 minute audience appellate rendition of the chorus. The Atlanta crowd was amazing and didn't want the song to end. My only disappointment was that they did not do Welcome to Dying, one of my favorite BG songs, but that's a minor complaint for what was an amazing show.

Another great evening of music (albeit abbreviated), and I looking forward to today's festivals, as well as the vendor room being open so that can spend way more money than I plan on :)

Last edited:
Since you didn't make it to the first set I'll go ahead and fill you in....Ghost Ship Octavius was amazing!! I had never heard of them before, not a single song, nothing, and they blew me away. Definitely picking up their CD this weekend.

Pyramaze...again, haven't listened to anything by them before and quite honestly probably won't after listening to them. Just something about it didn't hit me right. The music was good, but I think for me the vocals and the lyrics doesn't match up with the music...if that makes sense. And I know this was a special set, but I couldn't help but feel there was tension on the stage with the current band members and Lance King. Lance sounded great but something long-term between the band and Lance seemed to be there.

Circus Maximus....blown away. Great on stage presence.

BG...exactly what I expected from them. Solid from top to bottom. IFTOS is one of my favorite albums and they did an amazing job performing it live.

Lastly, the ATL crowd. Into it the whole time. Lively is an understatement.