Day 4 Thoughts (possible spoilers)

Oct 4, 2007
Savage Messiah was a band that I didn't know anything about going into the show, but I came away certain I had to get their albums. They were an excellent group that would have fit nicely into the mid to late 80's thrash metal scene, and they delivered on all levels.

I was really looking forward to seeing Serious Black, as I enjoyed their first album As Daylight Breaks, and liked what I heard from the follow up. Yet their live show, while good, never really hit the heights of other bands, perhaps because the sound didn't seem right. In particular, there were moments when the guitar solos were buried in the mix, which hindered some of my enjoyment of the songs. On the other hand, it was a very good set with a huge emphasis on their debut, closing out with High and Low, which was a real crowd pleaser.

Even a day later, I still have no idea of what I saw with Green Carnation's set, but it was certainly compelling. I wasn't sure a band could pull off an hour-long song, but they managed to do it very nicely, and I'll certainly pick up that album at some point.

After watching Refuge's set, I have no idea how I missed Rage back in the day. This would have been the type of band I would have been heavily into during my college years. I loved this set, and this was the only band that got me to head down to the floor to catch at least part of their set. They had a lot of great old-school energy and they were very nice guys at the autograph session. After the set, I had hoped to pick up the boxed set of Refuge era Rage material, but unfortunately it had sold out.

It took me a few songs to get into Haken, but once they hit their stride with 1985, they were on fire. In particular, I enjoyed their interesting blend of 80's synth and modern prog. But the song that stuck most with me was their closer Crystalized, and I'll certainly get the EP that song was on.

The Devon Townsend Project was a great way to close out the show, as Devon's manic energy was exactly what was needed as the hour grew late. It was clear that he was having fun on stage, even when the equipment wasn't always working. And it was great seeing Anneke join him as the two were great together.

All in all, Day 4 may have been my single favorite day at PPUSA, not only for this year, but for all of the editions I attended (2007, 2013--Day 2, 2014 and 2016). Usually, there is an act or two, that I either skip in favor of the vendor room or an autograph session, or I simply endure. On Day 4 here wasn't a band I didn't enjoy on some level, and the amazing sets got me into a few bands that I might never have even thought about before.

Edit: After another day of thought I realize that Day 4 may have been the single most consistent collection of bands since Ozzfest 97 which had a Black Sabbath Reunion, an Ozzy solo set, Pantera, Marilyn Manson (in his prime), Fear Factory and Type O Negative on the main stage.

Last edited:
Saturday for me was a much more solid batch of performances, Haken being the highlight of the festival. Devin was enjoyable as hell but the mix was off, vocal mikes were too quiet and the drums were too loud and muddy.