Quick Day 4 thoughts

Fixxer315

May 4, 2012
I left early after giving tKatatonia a try and found it wasn't my cup of tea.

Amaranthe was as awesome as I hoped it would be. Aside for a pointless drum solo (rarely is there any other kind), in the middle of the set, the band was very tight. Nils did a great job as the clean singer, with his voice serving as a great counterpoint to Elize's and Henrik's. I would like to have heard more from The Nexus but otherwise no complaints.

On the other hand, Pain seemed to be lacking something that took their set to the next level. Certainly it was the exclusion of one of their best songs, "Call Me." Perhaps it was the fact that the PPUSA audience really wasn't their type of crowd. The industrial sound would have fit nicely on a 1990's festival such as Lollapalooza or Ozzfest. However, here it seemed a bit out of place, and thus the crowd didn't quite get into as they might have elsewhere. Still, a solid enough set, but one that seemed to be cut short for time.

I'm still not sure what to think of Snowy Shaw's set other than to say it certainly wasn't boring as he certaily takes some of his theatricality from King Diamond, with whom he played in the early 90's. He said that he had a special guest, who couldn't make it, so Bill Hudson filled in for one song. Does anyone know who the special guest might have been?

After two years, Dynazty made it to PPUSA, and it was worth the wait as they gave a solid set of material, albeit one with not as much from Renatus as I had hoped.

I was disappointed with Teramaze having to cancel at the last minute, but Seven Spries proved to be a good substitute. I'm not a huge fan of the harsh vocals, but they were nicely blended in with clean vocals, and the band did a good job overall.

Last edited:
Pain's set was not as industrial in sound as they normally are. While Peter did have some background effects, it was no way near what is used on their albums. I thought they played more straight up for the PP crowd. For sure, a helluva lot less samples and background piped in than Amaranthe.

I enjoyed Pain's set a lot. I'm a fan of industrial, so I'd be happy to see more bands in that genre like Mechina or Neurotech (although I'm not sure either of them are live acts) play in this festival in the future.

I came into Saturday pretty tired after a fantastic Friday and seeing Lords of Black Saturday morning in the Loft. Most of the stuff on Saturday was not for me except for Amaranthe. Outside of some audio issues early, they were great and energetic. It's my third time to see them and they were just as good as previous. I thought Nils Molin did a great job as Jake's replacement. I like him more in that role than I do with Dynazty. I'm hoping him leaving that band will push the other members to complete a full-length release with Paralydium Project.
Never heard about Nils Molin leaving Dynazty...

I really liked Katatonia on Saturday night & stood up front on the floor right up close to the stage. The sound was excellent, I liked the setlist, and really enjoyed watching them play. I also liked their lighting choices. Very unique, but it went well with the band and their lyrics. 5 out of 5 stars IMO.

Pain was also quite good.

PPUSA takes forever to arrive, and just goes by way too fast once its started.

- Katatonia sounded excellent and had one of the best light shows I've ever seen. I would have liked more older songs thrown in but it was good.
- Did not like Amaranthe.
- Pain was ok. Didn't keep my attention for more than a song or two.
- Did not like Snowy Shaw,
- Dynazty was good.