Quick Day 3 Thoughts

Fixxer315

May 4, 2012
Mike Portnoy & co. pretty much stole the weekend, IMO. Their set of classic DT material (AA Suite plus selections fro SFAM, as well as Mirror), as absolutely amazing. I wasn't sure if the band could quite pull it off as the comparisons to DT would be inevitable. However, they did it in a fantastic two hours. Plus, you could tell that Mike was having a blast. He even got out in front of the drums to sing Repentance. I loved his comment on how strange it was.

Myrath put on a solid set, one that went over very well, but I just couldn't get into them. Perhaps I needed to be more familiar with their music to have really enjoyed their set. Nonetheless, I enjoyed it when the singer went into the crowd and had them sit for the beginning of one song.

Angel Dust was one of the main reasons I came to the show, and they did not disappoint. They did have a few technical glitches early on, and it took a few songs to get the sound right (especially the synths, which overpowered everything in the early songs). However, once everything was in place, the band really seemed to enjoy themselves. I wished they would have played Follow Me part 2, but otherwise no complaints about the setlist.

Lords of Black was a very fun old-school metal set, with a singer that invited comparisons to Ronnie James Dio--especially with the closer, a rampaging cover of Neon Knights.

Distorted Harmony was quite the strange act, but I really dug them., picking up one of their albums in the merch room to see if they came across as well in the studio as they do live.

Missed most of Daydream XI's set, as I was in the merchandise room, then in line for the autograph session for Angel Dust. What I did hear sounded decent enough, but nothing to rush out and get.

Last edited:
Really wanted to hear Angel Dust play "Where the Wind Blows". and "To Dust You Will Decay", but with a band like Angel Dust anything they want to play is perfect, and it was. Lords of Black was awesome & Ronnie Romero's vocals are superb. Love the lyrics of both bands. Those two bands definitely made my Friday. However Vanden Plas was my #1 and so I'd have to go with Vanden Plas & Metal Church tipping the scales in that regard.

Mike Portnoy's Shattered Fortress was amazing. Blew me away.
Myrath was good. Singing from the floor was a nice touch.