Quick Day 1 Thoughts

Fixxer315

May 4, 2012
I won't give an extensive review of the first day, but suffice it to say that it was another fine beginning of what looks to be a typically awesome weekend.

I'd say the MVPs of the night were Gloryhammer, who gave an awesome performance in their (delayed) US debut. They were gloriously over the top and they had the crowd in the palms of their hands, despite some mic problems during their first song.

Nocturnal Rites also gave a pretty good set, although it was hampered somewhat by Jonny's voice, which he acknowledged was not as strong as it usually was. However, the musicianship was impeccable.

As for the other two acts, I didn't catch that much of them. Due to teaching commitments, I arrived halfway through Ross the Boss, and was impressed. On the other hand, I was not as impressed with Voyager. I could appreciate the musicianship, but it didn't do much for me, so I took off about a half hour into the set.

Agree that it was an overall great start.

Not very familiar with Manowar tunes but the Ross The Boss band was outstanding, a plus was finding out later that Symphony X's Mike Lepond was the bass player extraordinare, just unreal performance. Ross is probably the weakest of the whole band in comparison to the rest of the guys. The volume was a bit overblown, but that's part of the Manowar theme.

I did not know any Gloryhammer at all going in, but they were a lot of fun, just completely over the top with the schtick which somehow works. It's not something I can listen to every day, but would go see them again. Great live band, although I am not exactly sure how much of it really is "live". The main vocalist is a blast, very entertaining.

Nocturnal Rites came out strong, but it was evident that Johnny was not 100%, especially during "Still Alive" where he didn't even try to sing the choruses. They were my most anticipated band of Wednesday and was sad they we're hampered by his issues, adding some boring instrumental things to fill out time. The setlist was a good mix of songs from multiple albums, not just new stuff and their backing tracks were perfect...just like the records ;).

Voyager was their typical quality tight performance, however just didn't seem to be as exciting as their previous PPUSA performances IMHO. Maybe it is the song choices but they did play some old favorites like "Lost" and "Sober" (which I love), the medley of melodies they are known for, and a quick cover of Toto's "Africa" with the PPUSA crew on stage helping on background vocals.

Last edited:
I have to agree, Voyager kicked ass. They blew the other four bands off the stage and their sound was one of the best sounds I have ever heard at Center Stage, minus what Shattered Fortress did last year

Reactions: Felixrox