Day 1 Thoughts

Fixxer315

May 4, 2012
Once again, we had a great kickoff to the show. The only band I knew anything about leading into the show was Haken, and they certainly delivered. Given that I taught at Georgia Gwinnett College for most of the day, I was getting wiped out by the time Haken took the stage. However, about midway through, it seemed as if they really kicked it into overdrive, and I was fully into the second half of the set.

Oprhaned Land blew me away on just about every level. I knew nothing about the band going into their set, but now I'm a fan, one who will certainly hit the merchandise room trying to get an album or two of theirs. I'm especially looking for their recent one, as I was very impressed by their ballad Brothers.

And both Power Quest and Serenity also gave good sets--albeit nothing that stood out after having witnessed the Orphaned Land set. Nonetheless, I'll likely see what I can pick up from them in the merch room.

Looking forward to Day # 2, especially Metal Church.

Last edited:
I think Haken delivered what might be the best performance I have ever seen at ProgPowerUSA! The only prog concert I have seen that might be better is Scenes from a Memory with Change of Seasons as the encore back in the day. It was that damn good. The bar is set mighty high for days 2, 3 & 4 .... and we still get one more Haken performance :)

Reactions: Mardoch