Svartsot - Viking Folk Metal

Fire breath

Feb 20, 2002
London
piris-metalopolis.blogspot.com
Never come across this band before but I guess there are a 1001 folk metal bands these days so it's not difficult to miss a few of them under the radar. Anyway this band had a big ad in the magazine I'm reading so I thought I would find some samples as they mentioned Amon Amarth and I'm a huge fan of the Swedes so I thought I would try some songs from these guys. Not bad stuff although nowhere near as good as AA but still heavy and melodic enough with a bigger folk element. Only the vocals are a bit bad being too low and guttural like in a brutal death metal band. Check it out if you are a fan of the style.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2eBxSFVYRk&feature=related[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually it was Powerplay Magazine here in the UK. Isn't Scream Norwegian? Or is it written in English?

Scream is Norwegian, and written in Norwegian so I don't understand it, so i bought me a English Norwegian dictionary

These days, when I see the the terms "Viking" or "Folk" associated with Metal, I just automatically lose interest. Who would have ever thought, back when some of the originators started doing this, that it would catch on in such a big way?

These days, when I see the the terms "Viking" or "Folk" associated with Metal, I just automatically lose interest. Who would have ever thought, back when some of the originators started doing this, that it would catch on in such a big way?

Zod, you hit the nail on the head. I was a huge and I mean huge fan of the folk / viking thing for many years....I can barely listen to it now. It is so overdone. I still listen to the older bands that I really liked but I just cant get excited about it like I used to. To thier credit...Svartsot are actually a really good band. I have both thier disc and both are really solid. Like any over crowded genre....it can grow stale. I knew it could get as big as it is...but now going to shows and seeing people in armour and war paint is just kind of embarrassing.

Never come across this band before but I guess there are a 1001 folk metal bands these days so it's not difficult to miss a few of them under the radar. Anyway this band had a big ad in the magazine I'm reading so I thought I would find some samples as they mentioned Amon Amarth and I'm a huge fan of the Swedes so I thought I would try some songs from these guys. Not bad stuff although nowhere near as good as AA but still heavy and melodic enough with a bigger folk element. Only the vocals are a bit bad being too low and guttural like in a brutal death metal band. Check it out if you are a fan of the style.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1pt0eE41Xo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2eBxSFVYRk&feature=related

I really don't like it when people put Amon Amarth into this category. They're pretty much straight up melodic death metal that happen to write songs about vikings (and yes have the look). They don't incorporate the folk element into their music at all, and I really don't see why people place them in that category. I think the lyrical element and the vocal element are the only reasons people do, beyond the look.

Onto this band though, I'm with the others that have spoken. The vocals really suck for this band. Almost like the vocalist of Cannibal Corpse joined a folk metal band. Really odd. I don't mind harsh vocals, but this is too extreme to the point where it's like the guy isn't even attempting to enunciate anything. Having said that though, it's still enjoyable to me.

Scream is Norwegian, and written in Norwegian so I don't understand it, so i bought me a English Norwegian dictionary

Now that's some metal dedication right there.

It is overdone, but I wouldn't say I automatically lose interest. I always give a band a shot, but unfortunately a lot of these bands sound the same and don't stand out. There are exceptions though. I think Turisas, TYR, Ensiferum and Eluviette (before they got rid of the brothers) stood out.

...but now going to shows and seeing people in armour and war paint is just kind of embarrassing.

Whats wrong with having a little fun at a show?

One weekend a few years back I went to Gigantour, Pagan Fest and a Dimmu Borgir show, all three shows were on the same weekend and there was this dude wearing a chicken costume at all 3 shows. Seeing the bands try to ignore him and failing to(Dave Mustaine addressed him halfway through their show but I cant remember what he said, Vortex from Dimmu Borgir could not stop cracking up when he saw him) made the trip that much better. Seeing people donning the Turisas warpaint just made it all that much sweeter. IMHO of course :):headbang:

I will add nothing to the "stale genre" portion of this thread, other than I love this stuff, and Svartsot are great. Good to see the new tunes stand up now that they have a revamped lineup.

Its only overdone, if you, as a listener, overdo it. I listen to a lot of it, but I do dislike most of what is being put out right now, as few bands seem to appreciate what makes folk great. As for the fans, some seem to enjoy it while also making it appear to be some kind of a joke. I don't get them.