Folk Metal

Trans-Siberian Outcast said:
I love folk metal. Korpiklanni is a fun listen, but they need to work more on consistant songwriting. They have the right idea.

My faves include: Orphaned Land, Wuthering Heights, Falconer, TYR, and Cruachan.

Wuthering Heights & Falconer? I do not even consider them as Folk Metal.

Cruachan and Tyr yes. Other great bands are: Mael Mordha (Ireland), Waylander, Oakhelm

MisterMayhem said:
Wuthering Heights & Falconer? I do not even consider them as Folk Metal.

Cruachan and Tyr yes. Other great bands are: Mael Mordha (Ireland), Waylander, Oakhelm

Far From The Maddening Crowd is distinctly Folk Metal.
Falconer is somewhat questionable, or borderline. They have Ye Olde English feel in their sound, but they're from Sweden. I wouldn't quibble either way about Falconer being Folk.

I love folk metal. Korpiklanni is a fun listen, but they need to work more on consistant songwriting. They have the right idea.

My faves include: Orphaned Land, Wuthering Heights, Falconer, TYR, and Cruachan.
Cruachan is pretty wild ... just came across them recently, and I'm kind of digging them. They have very heavy folk elements. "Shelob", the opening track of their latest disc is friggin crazy .. but in a good way. I need to check out Tyr ... going to Wacken in 07', and I think they are on the bill.

Britt

Anyone like Folk Metal here? I've listened to some. Some of it I don't like, some of it I can stand, and some is just great!

Skyclad (the masters), Tyr, Wuthering Heights, Tuatha De Danann, Falconer

NP: Wuthering Heights - 'Faith (apathy divine part I)'

I like the folk-metal that I've heard. Has anyone here heard Corvus Corax? Not the metal band that was on Dark Symphonies, but the folk fusion (or whatever it is) act of the same name?

Anyone else like Haggard? Not exactly PP8 material, but I would freakin love to see them live sometime.

I'd love to find some other bands like them.

Anyone listened to Lyriel - Prisonworld? Folk-like in places.

I just discovered a Russian band called Arkona. Pretty awesome - I've only heard the tunes on their myspace. www.myspace.com/arkonarussia

ARKONA are fantatic...I have 2 of thier disc. I guess the singer is from this Russian band called Buterfly Temple...from what I heard they are even better but their disc are all OOP.

I am glad to see someone else that knows who they are.

Agalloch in my book are kings of this genre and at the same time one of the bet 5 bands out there. Primordial, late bathory, finntroll, TYR, Moonsorrow Thyrfing, can fit in there somewhere and I strongly consider checking out my friends band in this genre "Falls of Rauros" www.myspace.com/fallsofrauros they are creating really good music in the likes of Agalloch, Primordial, and Moonsorrow.

Anyone else like Haggard? Not exactly PP8 material, but I would freakin love to see them live sometime.

I'd love to find some other bands like them.

Anyone listened to Lyriel - Prisonworld? Folk-like in places.

I love Haggard. They are playing ProgPower UK this year - why wouldn't they be PPUSA material?

Elvenking's The Winter Wake has been in constant rotation since Chicago Powerfest. These guys give me such a woody when I'm driving through the northern parts of Michigan. I wanna just jump off the freeway and start hiking across the forests!

\M/

I am really really hoping they get the 3-slot. But I'm not holding my breath.

I like the folk-metal that I've heard. Has anyone here heard Corvus Corax? Not the metal band that was on Dark Symphonies, but the folk fusion (or whatever it is) act of the same name?

I've heard of Corvus Corax , at least I think it's them. They were on a few Wave Gotik Treffen(Definately a fest I'd want to go to someday) DVDs. They were pretty fucking cool.

I did check Ensiferum, they are very very good as well. They remind me a little bit of old school BG with harsher vocals in a small way, which is never a bad thing :).