J.

Old Fart
Jul 24, 2001
The Woodlands
Swallow the Sun – Hope
Candlelight Records - CDL344 - March 20, 2007
By Wayward_Son

swallow.JPG

Having heard about Swallow the Sun back when their debut, The Morning Never Came, was unleashed, but never actually listening to it, Hope is this writer’s first experience with this Finnish doom/death outfit. For some reason they’ve always been part of that list of bands that might warrant a purchase one day if there is money to burn, but for the most part, they are simply there. Now that Hope has been played numerous times, this writer can safely say that Swallow the Sun will go on without this writer following them.

This is paint-by-numbers melodic doom/death. Nothing more, nothing less. Lets see, we’ve got cleanly sung, spoken, and low growled vocals, simple riffs with clean melody lines, and pseudo-atmospheric keyboards. The funny thing is that the music found within is well executed and competent. It is easily accessible, and you’ll hear everything the band has to offer by the second track. The eight songs follow the same pattern, and really hold no surprises. Fortunately, the band was able to write one song that has replay value in ’The Justice of Suffering’. The cleanly sung chorus adds another dimension to the song that the band should utilize far more often, instead of relying on clichéd death grunts.

While Swallow the Sun’s style of doom/death is not terrible, there is no getting around the fact that it is quite generic. Doom metal of any kind depends on the music carrying with it a sense of hopelessness, despair, mood, and nostalgia, as much as it does the actual musicians executing their parts with efficiency. Swallow the Sun totally lacks the former. This music is empty. Nowhere did this writer feel anything resembling sadness throughout the duration of Hope. Of course, some fans may point to the use of keyboards that create a certain atmosphere. Metal listeners need to understand that including keyboards in music does not automatically create another dimension. In Swallow the Sun’s case, they simply provide a pleasant backdrop of nothingness. Though, perhaps it is the production. Everything is crystal clear and could possibly be robbing the album of having some sort of personal feel to it.

Faithful Reader, this is doom/death for beginners. It is easy on the ears and has about as much depth as a pancake, though it is not nearly as tasty. Diehard fans of doom stalwarts Anathema , My Dying Bride and Katatonia might find something worth listening to here. As for this writer, music with a meaning is far more important than gloss.

Official Swallow the Sun Website
Official Candlelight Records Website

Sucks that you lost your hearing :( This album is absolutely ace, though not STS's best offering. Sure, it's nothing new, nothing amazing, but done better than anyone else today. These guys are turning out better material than My Dying Bride is for sure.

I must say that I agree with this review. I'm a huge doom fan but find it hard to enjoy STS - the whole thing sound formulaic and contrived. Not that STS don't utilize the sort of techninique that MDB, Anathema, Tiamat, etc.. have used but the one thing that lacks here is, as the reviewer states, depth and songwriting skill. It results in a very boring listen.

It's quite ashame that the doom coming out lately is so lame and even the titans (anathema, MDB, Tiamat) have either changed or are a shadow of their former selves.

a couple bands who are churning out quality doom are Warning and Agalloch. There are some others but in general the scene is pretty lame.

Sucks that you lost your hearing :( This album is absolutely ace, though not STS's best offering. Sure, it's nothing new, nothing amazing, but done better than anyone else today. These guys are turning out better material than My Dying Bride is for sure.

So this album is "absolutely ace" and "nothing amazing" at the same time? And seeing how My Dying Bride has not released anything worth hearing for quite some time does not say much for Swallow the Sun.

This band has obvious influences, but somewhere along the way the feeling and soul of their music was lost. Perhaps their previous albums are better. It is simply easier and more pleasing to listen to the originators of this style. If it is true that Swallow the Sun are playing this style better than anyone today, it is a sad state of affairs.

Though where this attitude of having to listen to new music came from is a mystery. Plenty of quality doom/death bands have been forgotten either through bad labels or bad distribution. Swallow the Sun just happen to be on a well known doom label with great distribution. Add to that the fact their music is easily approachable, and there you go.

Glad you liked the album. :)

I loved the first album and the EP. Hope was decent, but I saw them declining then. I think the new album is very stock, but overall they are a quality band when paired up with most melodic death/doom bands. I have to disagree with the MDB comments, honestly, I think their album is the best in the last 8 years.