Symphonic Black/Death/Thrash

NinjaGeek

Feb 22, 2007
Not looking for all 3 combined looking for Symphonic Death, Symphonic Black, or Symphonic Thrash metal. No giant lists please, gimme a few really good ones.

Symphonic death:
Noctiferia
Luciferion (on The Apostate)

Symphonic black:
...and Oceans (first two albums only, really)
Limbonic Art

There is no such thing as symphonic thrash.

Sure there is. It's called Metallica's S & M album.

I would also count Dragonlord. They're symphonic blackened thrash and were formed by the guitarist of Testament.

As for symphonic death metal, Crionics is the band you want.

And then my specialty, symphonic black metal!

Anorexia Nervosa
Arcturus (early)
Bishop of Hexen
Covenant
Dimmu Borgir (early)
Emperor
Hellveto
Kataxu
Limbonic Art
Nazgul (Ita)
Nokturnal Mortum
Obsidian Gate
Sethery
Summoning
Tartaros
Troll
Zargof

That would be awesome if there was a Symphonic black death thrash metal band. There probably is one.

Sure there is. It's called Metallica's S & M album.

I would also count Dragonlord. They're symphonic blackened thrash and were formed by the guitarist of Testament.

@ Metallica: no

Dragonlord aren't really "thrash" (humorously, neither is Testament anymore).

There is no such thing as symphonic thrash.

Would Hevein be considered Symphonic Thrash? Not really sure the exact definition of what makes a band symphonic, since most bands don't have an actual symphony playing with them.

Hevein is good, but not thrash. I usually just consider them "symphonic metal" since they really don't fit into any genre...

I'd consider certain Blind Guardian songs to be symphonic thrash/power metal. Their older stuff is really thrash, and certain songs on Nightfall in Middle-Earth combine the symphonic and thrash elements.

Their older stuff is speed/power, not really thrash. It lacks the quick syncopated rhythmic riffing and almost totally lacks any sort of punk influence which was prevalent in 80's thrash metal.

But yeah. I suppose they are DECENTLY close...

symphonic death:
psypheria- embrace the mutation
nocturnus- the key
luciferion- the apostate

symphonic black:
all the emperor albums

~gR~

Their older stuff is speed/power, not really thrash. It lacks the quick syncopated rhythmic riffing and almost totally lacks any sort of punk influence which was prevalent in 80's thrash metal.

But yeah. I suppose they are DECENTLY close...

For some reason I got mixed up with speed and thrash. You're right, their older stuff was more speed metal. But they did do a few albums that had some thrash influence; not really like traditional thrash though.

To add to this mix:

Symph DM/BM: Apostasy, Axamenta ( especially their newest album Ever-Arch-I-Tech-Ture will blow your head off in terms of syphponic Death/Black ), Ceremonial Castings, Soulfallen, Thyrane.

Symph BM: early Catamenia ( especially their first two albums ), Kroda, Sunwheel, Gehenna ( my personal favorite ), Gontyna Kry, Khors, Odious ( support this new act from Egypt! also with arabic folk instruments, highly recommended )

The Project Hate - they're symphonic DM with an Amy Lee-type vocalist and a superb DM vocalist (can't remember his name though).