Symphonic Black Metal

Zephyrus

Tyrants and Slaves
Jan 18, 2006
Maine or Iowa
Ah, symphonic black metal. Loved by many, despised by many others. This thread is for recommendations of this rather delicate sub-genre, which has become the quest for the perfect mixture of black metal brutality and atmosphere with majestic symphonics, whether synthesized or conveyed by real classical instruments.

My list of quality symphonic black metal is as follows. Please be sure to list your own recommendations and requests in this thread.

Arcturus (early)
Crionics
Dimmu Borgir (early)
Dragonlord (for Testament fans, mainly)
Emperor
Hellveto
Kataxu
Covenant (first album)
Limbonic Art
Mörker
Necromantia
Sethery
Tartaros
Zargof

I want to get into more Symphonic BM than just the popular Scandinaian stuff so this thread is exactly what I need.

Obtained Enslavement - Witchcraft.

The finest Symphonic Black Metal I've ever heard, and basically the only album in the style I regularly listen to. Highly recommended.

Edit: A couple of others that slipped my mind.

Vintersemestre - Kirkkokyrpä
Manes - Under Ein Blodraud Maane

Keep Of Kalessin
Old Man's Child
Einherjer?
Vesperian Sorrow
Sammath Naur

Not sure If I'm right on the genres lol but who cares I think these bands kick peices out my face.

I want to get into more Symphonic BM than just the popular Scandinaian stuff so this thread is exactly what I need.

Kataxu - Hunger of Elements is the best in Polish symphonic BM that you can find.

Zargof (Brazil) - Departure for the Cosmic Twilight is like ITNE South-American style.

Crionics - Armageddon's Evolution is the Polish equivalent of Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk.

Dragonlord - The US's attempt at symphonic BM. Some people call it symphonic blackened thrash. The band was formed by one of the Testament guitarists.

I would tend to recommend Satyricon's Nemesis Divinia.

Summoning is one of my favorite BM bands, I'm not sure if you could technically call them Symphonic, but they are definitely epic. Check out Dol Gulder or Minas Morgul.

Bal-Sagoth is Symphonic, definitely. Battle Magic is a good one to start with.

I just conducted some extensive research using the bands by genre search function on Metal-Archives. I typed in "Symphonic Black Metal" and got quite a lengthy list which I scanned and, with the help of samples from myspace and band-sites, I have dug up a few symphonic black metal bands out of the underground that sounded good to me.

If any of you have heard about any of these bands, please provide your thoughts.

Cryogenic
Daemonicium
Dark Inversion
Eldrig
Essence of Existence
Grand Alchemist
Korozy
Nemesis Inferi
Ninnghizhidda
Obsidian Gate
Riul Doamnei
Valinor

Grand Alchemist is excellent, though very synthetic/modern. They have synths in addition to symphonic keyboards. It's not the same style of epic/symphonic pomp-metal like Hellveto (though Hellveto is fucking good).

Ninnghizhidda is not very good, don't bother. Quite amateur stuff.

Check out this stuff:

...and Oceans (first two albums are fucking staples of symph-BM)
Vindsval (pretty decent stuff)
Sear Bliss
Dub Buk

BISHOP OF HEXEN!!!! :worship: :worship: :worship:

Check out, Bishop of Hexen's "The Nightmarish Compositions" ...if you're in need of something like Arcturus, Emperor, maybe Bal-Sagoth and such. It isn't completely black metal as its more dark'blackened' metal, 'symphonic' with lots of keyboard. Fantastic keyboard work and incredible clean vocals here and there, there is also a bit of an almost threatrical and rather dark side to the music. "The Nightmarish Compositions" was easily in my top albums of 2006. I strongly recommened Bishop of Hexen...and my personal fav song of theirs "Stride the Corridors of One's Wind" ....

^^^ I've known about them for a while. Good stuff. I'll probably get that album soon.

And I've heard good things from Sear Bliss although they are a bit more folky than standard symphonic BM.