The BLACK METAL recommendations thread

Wow Twilight I guess is like a "supergroup" type of band, pretty cool.

One last favor, a BM band (any country) that uses Viking Myth in their lyrics. Not Viking Metal though, nothing "Folk-y"

*Thread necromancy*

What's are some good intro bands to black metal? I can get into death metal, but not black. My guess is I'm just starting in the wrong spot. Take a look at my Last.fm profile to get an idea of what I listen to now, and perhaps make some suggestions (specific albums would probably be best)? It seems like I'm missing a lot by not listening to this subgenre which seems to be highly acclaimed by most here.

What's are some good intro bands to black metal?

Graveworm, Lux Occulta, & Burzum's "Hvis Lyset Tar Oss" would all be good places to start. The Burzum you would have to let grow on you, but I think it would be a good idea to get that great album & get it out of the way.

Also, FROM WHAT I'VE HEARD I would say Samael, but I've only heard a few tracks by them.

One album that actually re-sparked my interest in Black Metal was Emperor's "Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk". It's not very memorable but a decent album I think. I really like "Into the Nightside Eclipse" but it's definitely not a good place to start. It took me a long time to appreciate that album.

I just got Bathory's "Blood Fire Death" & it's a great album as well.

*Thread necromancy*

What's are some good intro bands to black metal? I can get into death metal, but not black. My guess is I'm just starting in the wrong spot. Take a look at my Last.fm profile to get an idea of what I listen to now, and perhaps make some suggestions (specific albums would probably be best)? It seems like I'm missing a lot by not listening to this subgenre which seems to be highly acclaimed by most here.

Darkthrone-Sardonic Wrath
Amesoeurs - Ruines Humaines EP
Burzum - Filosofem
Emperor - In the Nightside Eclipse

*Thread necromancy*

Since you are into death metal, it might make sense to start out with blackened death, or black metal bands with death metal influence.

Destroyer 666
Arkhon Infaustus
Belphegor
Forest of Impaled
Necros Christos
Secrets of the Moon
Mjolnir
Zarathustra
Desaster
Samael
Anael

These bands aren't most representative of black metal, but for that reason they are good gateway bands.

One forum was talking about Gorgoroth's Antichrist being the best bm record period. I just recently heard this and wondering about everyone else's opinions. I look at it as just another run of the mill bm record

I listen to some black metal and don't find it that hard to get in to, but, what's a good BM album for a fan of death metal? I don't mean to imply that I want blackened death like Behemoth, just regular BM. And hopefully something that's easily accessible.

I would say Darkthrone - A Blaze In The Northern Sky, as it still has trace influences from Autopsy.

I would say Darkthrone - A Blaze In The Northern Sky, as it still has trace influences from Autopsy.

I don't really find that to be easily accessible, but I guess it depends on what your definition of regular Black Metal is.

I would maybe point someone towards Burzum's "Hvis Lyset Tar Oss" or Emperor's "Anthems", but I'm not sure if you would classify that under Symphonic BM.

Hm, I think most of stuff you seem to be inquiring about would probably be more or less standard stuff that would be easy to find on the internets. I don't know about you, but shopping at used CD stores around here is out of the question because they never have much good stuff here.

*Thread necromancy*

Basic Black Metal CD's:

Emperor- In the Nightside Eclipse
Burzum- Hvis Lyset Tar Oss
Darkthrone- Transilvanian Hunger
Mercyful Fate- Melissa
Mayhem- De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas
Dimmu Borgir- Enthrone Darkness Triumphant
Nokturnal Mortum- Lunar Poetry

Ok. Life Sucks is in the mood for suicidal black metal again.

Anti
Abyssic Hate
Silencer
Shining
Be Persecuted
Wigrid
Nocturnal Depression
early Forgotten Tomb
Elysian Blaze
Sterbend
Nyktaglia

I'm looking for sbm that is more melodic and heartfelt, like the above mentioned bands, as opposed to drony, like NIL or Xasthur.