Theatrical/Gothic/Symphonic Blackened Metal

Vossyrus

Apr 25, 2007
Canada
So basically as the thread title mentions. I'm not specifically looking for black metal but something more or less influenced by black metal.

Ideally, something:
- 'Theatrical'
- Gothic influenced or 'dark'
- lots of keyboards, and/or symphonic
- Must have good, clear production...not raw or underproduced.

Examples of what I'm looking for:
Bishop of Hexen, Sigh, Anorexia Nervosa, Arcturus...

I'm already familiar with bands like Dimmu Borgir, Cradle of Filth, Bal-Sagoth and other relatively well-known bands, and other bands like Theatres des Vampires, Darzamat, Tvangeste, Gotherfall...etc. A band like Limbonic Art may be a bit too 'black metal' for what I'm looking for. And by gothic-influenced, I don't mean those pop-metal bands with female singers. Preferably looking for some lesser-known bands because if they're somewhat popular I've probably already heard them.

Thanks to anyone who can make some recommendations :)

nokturnal mortum
old mans child

and this may be obvious, but dimmu borgir is the definition of theatrical. and if you still CoF black metal, thats another obvious choice
~gR~

Oh, almost forgot, check out Ephel Duath's first album Phormula (rereleased with bonus tracks as Rephormula). It is kickass, very underrated, very carnivalesque, very dark, amazing drumming, and should be exactly what you're looking for.

Tartaros - The Grand Psychotic Castle is definitely what you're looking for.

tartaros-the_grand_psychotic_castle.jpg

Thanks for the recommendations everyone, some of them I'm already aware of and some I will definitely check out! :headbang:

Edit: Tartaros is exactly the kind of music I'm looking for, thanks Zephyrus :) ..still checking out more.

Ador Dorath, as I recall, are quite theatrical/spacey sounding. I haven't heard a lot by them, though.