Symphonic Metal (but without the power metal influence)

Einherjar86

Jan 15, 2008
The Ivory Tower
Okay, so I know that a lot of power metal bands get lumped in with symphonic metal because of the presence of it in their music (i.e. Nightwish, Kamelot, Rhapsody, Epica, Visions of Atlantis etc.) Don't get me wrong, I enjoy each one of these bands; however, I'm looking for symphonic metal with less of a power metal influence. I know this leaves a great deal in the open, but to give some idea, I enjoy:

Therion (of course)
Bal-Sagoth
Borknagar (not really symphonic, but incorporates the feel)
Turisas
Moonsorrow
Wintersun
Dimmu Borgir (sometimes)

In essence, more of a black metal/avant-garde/progressive touch. I enjoy the mix of clean and harsh vocals (I think it lends a variety of personality to the music), but I have no reservations against bands that use only clean or only harsh vocals. My appreciation in advance for the assitance!

Bishop of Hexen (definitely check them out)

La Grand Guignol

Arcturus (you've probably heard of them)

Last edited by a moderator:
Only band I could recomend Would be Turisas but you already listen to them. Are the other bands you have listed anything like Turisas? If so I really want to hear them. If not I still want to hear them, just not as much.

Dimmu Borgir (Progenies of the Great Apocolypse excepted) and Borknagar I do not like. I don't mind harsh vocals so long as they are understandable.

Sorry for posting and not even reccomending any bands.

Anorexia Nervosa
Hellveto
Limbonic Art
Nazgul (Ita)
Obsidian Gate
Sethery
Summoning
Tartaros
Zargof

Of that list, Obsidian Gate is the most symphonic. I highly recommend The Nightspectral Voyage.

c5b88fb25a2919d76fdf00cce5b9923f.jpg

Only band I could recomend Would be Turisas but you already listen to them. Are the other bands you have listed anything like Turisas? If so I really want to hear them. If not I still want to hear them, just not as much.

Dimmu Borgir (Progenies of the Great Apocolypse excepted) and Borknagar I do not like. I don't mind harsh vocals so long as they are understandable.

Sorry for posting and not even reccomending any bands.

Haha, that's okay. If you want bands that sound somewhat similar to Turisas, try Moonsorrow and Wintersun. They're not quite as blatantly symphonic and over the top as Turisas is, but they share some similarities. You might enjoy them.

Virgin Black
Symbyosis
Hollenthon
Summoning(if you'd count them I suppose)
As Light Dies
Falkenbach
Winds
Adagio(know you wanted less power influence, but this one is very unique)
Sigh's newest

I'm already a big fan of Virgin Black. They're one of the most innovative and interesting bands I've come across in a while. I'll definitely be checking out the rest though. Hollenthon seems to be a favorite. I'll let you know what I think.

And to everyone else, thank you very much for the suggestions. I'll definitely try each band. If you can think of any more, please list them! Thanks.

i recommend theatres des vampires

try "suicide vampires" or "bloody lunatic asylum"

Just have to mention this each time I see their name, they are actually my favourite band - well, the stuff with Lord Vampyr as lead vocalist. "Bloody Lunatic Asylum" is actually my favourite album of all-time. :oops:
..but I think "The Vampire Chronicles" is better than "Suicide Vampire." :p

Just have to mention this each time I see their name, they are actually my favourite band - well, the stuff with Lord Vampyr as lead vocalist. "Bloody Lunatic Asylum" is actually my favourite album of all-time. :oops:
..but I think "The Vampire Chronicles" is better than "Suicide Vampire." :p
believe it or not, i got into them because of you always talking about them. no one else seems to like them. i like every single thing about them. they even dabbled in black metal early on.

Well in the case of Nazgul, the brevity of their songs noticeably subtracts from their sense of epicness (epicity? epicitude?).

And remember, the original term "epic" was used to describe very, very long heroic poems, such as the Aeneid and Gilgamesh.