non-symphonic black metal with really great clean vocals

Nov 30, 2005
Nebraska
www.facebook.com
I've been playing some random shit on last.fm and Pandora, and have come across some good tunes by black metal bands that aren't overly melodic or symphonic that have great clean vocals. Unfortunately, I was an idiot and didn't note who the artists were. I'm kinda thinking stuff in the vein of Borknagar, but a lot more raw and/or dark sounding. Also, the clean vocal parts have to be really well done, and I don't want DSBM.

This is interesting; the first thing that came to mind was Arcturus, but they're extremely symphonic, so not what you're asking for.

Are you looking for a predominance of clean vocals, or half and half, or just some? I'm thinking of acts like Ulver and their aesthetic progeny; Fen, Forest of Stars...

But those acts are somewhat on the "melodic" side, so I'm not sure. I would like to hear more suggestions for this though.

Well, I don't think I have the most knowledge about this unique little subset of black metal, but my final suggestions would be:

Urfaust
In the Woods... (some keys, but very good clean vocals)

Not sure how much, if at all, that helped. :cool:

The only bands I know of like this are

Circle of Ourobouros (earlier stuff, their post-punk influence has taken over on later works from what I hear)
Urfaust