Clean female vocals + another request

Vegard Pompey

ALLY TO GOOD, NIGHTMARE TO YOU
Feb 26, 2008
Duwang
Name some good metal bands with clean female vocals. And no über-high pitched vocals like Nightwish and a thousand other symphonic metal bands.

Also, I have another request. I want some good metal bands with clean, or at least, easily comprehensible vocals in swedish or norwegian. It's just such a nice touch to hear vocals in languages that I am familiar with.

Good, clean female vocals. I can't think of any with completely female vocals, but the following use them sometimes:

Therion (on Gothic Kabbalah they have a great female singer; try the songs Trul and The Perennial Sophia)
Hollenthon (sometimes; songs like To Kingdom Come and Once We Were Kings)
Pyramaze (only one song, She Who Summoned Me; great song though)

Most bands that I can think of really have the Nightwish sound. If it's a female vocalist who sings clean, usually they lean in that direction.

You might try checking out the following acts, although they might be too close-sounding to Nightwish; and personally, I'm not the hugest fan of either of them:

Lunatica (the singer of Lunatica doesn't have an extremely high voice,but the music's very simple and often mainstream-soundng; some catchy tunes though)
Edenbridge (I only know a few songs by this band, but you could try checking them out; I never got into them)

You might try checking out the following acts, although they might be too close-sounding to Nightwish; and personally, I'm not the hugest fan of either of them:

This is the problem with most female fronted metal bands; They almost all sound like Nightwish.

Also, Unexpect has the best female vocalist I have ever heard.

For good female vocals not in the context of sappy goth-metal, try Augury - Concealed.

For clean vocals in Norwegian, Solefald do it quite often, as do Asmegin, Ulver on Bergtatt, Windir, Arcturus on Aspera, etc etc

Skumring covers both requests.

The Third And The Mortal, one of their influences, partly covers both requests - since one song on their debut EP "Sorrow" and two songs on their debut album "Tears Laid In Earth" have got Norwegian lyrics. Please note that while these two releases might be considered atmospheric doom metal, any album released afterwards isn't metal at all. (I like them nevertheless.)

word! the best female vocals out there

I second (or in this case "third") the recommendation of Madder Mortem.

other good bands with great female vocals:

Gåte

Rather folk rock than metal, but Gunnhild Sundli definitely has a clean and powerful voice. In addition to that, all songs are in Norwegian or, to be more precise, different Norwegian dialects.

Other bands with clean female vocals which come to my mind are:

Atrox (Monika Edvardsen-era; it should be added that some of the vocals are really crazy, though - the most moderate are those on "Orgasm")

The Gathering (If you're looking for metal only, try "Mandylion" and "Nighttime Birds"; anything released afterwards can't be considered "metal" anymore - still I like some of it better than "Mandylion" and "Nighttime Birds")

Midnattsol ("Where Twilight Dwells" and "Nordlys" both also feature two songs with Norwegian lyrics)

Dreams Of Sanity (a now defunct band who released 3 albums, out of which I think their debut "Komödia", which featured two female vocalists, is their best)