circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
Symphony in Peril – The Whore’s Trophy
Facedown Records – FR041 – February 15th, 2005
By Jason Jordan

fr041-150.jpg

In my review of Lost Memoirs and Faded Pictures – Symphony in Peril’s debut album – I iterated that the guys would have to step it up if they want to be known as a reputable, chaotic hardcore group. Welp, I’m overjoyed to admit that The Whore’s Trophy is the kind of sophomore record that they needed to release. What the line-up does here is meld metal with chaotic hardcore to achieve a balance that simply slays.

I’ll say it again here: I absolutely despised Shawn Jonas’s screaming on Zao’s The Splinter Shards the Birth of Separation. On The Whore’s Trophy, however, Jonas sounds spectacular and seems as if he’s settling into his idiosyncratic, vocal style with confidence. In “For Now We See in a Mirror, Dimly, but Then Face to Face,” the listener receives all traits that Symphony in Peril offer; it’s a downloadable track, and I highly urge you to seek it out. “Stiletto” utilizes stylistic juxtaposition right out of the starting gate (sorry, it’s Kentucky Derby time here in Louisville). Anyway, whether the band’s maturity is due to the minor line-up changes they weathered, a surge of creative focus, or both, it really shows on The Whore’s Trophy. While “Stiletto” can’t be labeled metal at its beginning, “Seduction by Design” is overtly metal. Frequently, the band will switch styles – smoothly I might add – and that’s one of their most entertaining characteristics. Also, the group is quite intent on implementing quality grooves this time around.

I found the latest release by Symphony in Peril to be twelve tracks that showcase complexity and simplicity all in one. The disc only lasts for about thirty-eight minutes total, but is about 2.3 times better than Lost Memoirs and Faded Pictures. The aforementioned felt like a tedious excursion into cut-and-paste hardcore, whereas The Whore’s Trophy radiates with adept songwriting and subsequent maturity. This is yet another great addition to 2005.

9/10

Official Symphony in Peril Website
Official Facedown Records Website