Symphony X -Iconoclast

It's a great song, but a bit commercial for them, no? I just hope there's some more progressive stuff on Iconoclast, since Paradise Lost was seriously lacking in that regard. Glad to hear Pinnella in there for once, since he was turned down on the previous album big time. Russ sounds fantastic as always, and the backing vocals are nice, too!

Yes, keyboards! Now that's a little more like 'er! I haven't seen the tracklist for this album so I don't know if this is the opener for the album but it sure sounds like a good way to lead off from. I hope the production sounds more like "V" did also. :D

Aside from the vocals, I hope the album brings back the "wet" sound from V (and yes I know I'm harping on this a lot)... I don't know any other word for it but it sounded more broad and had reverb and shit... The Odyssey had practically the complete opposite and as a result, didn't sound too appealing and the guitars had an extremely grating sound to them, but the songs were great and Russell was in pretty good form. Paradise Lost's sounded a little less "dry" but somehow flat and uninteresting... Guess I'll use the word "claustrophobic" here...

Ok suffice it to say I don't know anything about production, maybe it's the mixing or mastering that I'm talking about here. But Jens Bogren was a terrible choice to use to produce/mix/blah PL.

Of the three live songs I've heard from Iconoclast, "End of Innocence" stood out the most to me. I'm just worried that the album version will sound butchered in comparison, cause in the case of PL's title track; Russ sounded fucking golden live!

How I miss the Miller era...

/end rant :D

Ok suffice it to say I don't know anything about production, maybe it's the mixing or mastering that I'm talking about here. But Jens Bogren was a terrible choice to use to produce/mix/blah PL.
/end rant :D

I don't know anything about production either but PL was a departure from the older albums. It was more aggressive so it's not really fair to compare the two IMO.

And we can't even count the new album (if it's produced by the same guy) because SX is still messing around with new sounds.

Let him produce a album with the sound of V/Twilight/DG/DWoT and then we can compare production skills.

I can't wait for Iconoclast. There is no specific Symphony X album that i really love (PL is close though!), but they are definitely one of my favourite bands; MJR writes the most amazing riffs and solos. I've been eager to hear some tougher, more agressive songs that suit Russell's vocals so well, and Dehumanized really fits the bill. More please!

Either I'm starting to dig their new sound or I'm in a motive denial.

I think it's kinda fucked though how the 'real' album is the digipak version stretched onto two discs. Guess that means anyone who buys the jewel case is essentially missing around half the album.

Isn't it about time for CDs to be upgraded to contain at least 120 mins of music? :err:

Lady Gaga can't make more than 120m.

J/K lame joke

So much crap to upgrade to DVDs, HD-DVDs, Blu-Rays... We should have already upgraded music CDs to music DVDs, no?

Yup I stole it up the moment I heard it leaked (after having pre-ordered the full T-shirt, signed photo, and digipack bundle), I've spoiled all but a few songs. I'm actually somehow very happy with what I'm hearing. I'm glad Pinnella's been brought forward in this album too, that makes a big difference.

However the product hasn't shipped yet from cmdistro, most likely cause of the mail strike here. I think they should've at least e-mailed me about it saying they are aware of the issue and still give a shit about shipping the product out in 18 years when the strike ends. :D