SYMPHONY X / OVERKILL -- tour review thread

SwordLord

Attack!
Sep 20, 2004
St. Paul, Minnesota
www.myspace.com
Saturday, 9/26 marked the 4th time I have brought Symphony X to Minnesota. Symphony X actually was on the very first metal show I ever promoted -- Blind Guardian & Symphony X in December of 2002. So as you can imagine, this was a very special show as it marked essentially 13 years of doing business with the band.

Like many progressive-power metal bands that have spanned long careers, Symphony X has shed most of the neo-classical symphonic elements that marked their earlier work for a more straight-ahead classic heavy metal sound. While Michael Romeo is obviously more than up to the challenge, having perfected power-smashing riffs since 2007's Paradise Lost (the album that truly marked an aural turning point for the band), few singers have the range and vocal dynamic to pull it off to the degree that Russell Allen can. UNDERWORLD is yet another prime example of how perfected the new SymX sound is and what a true powerhouse Allen is on the mic.

To that end, SYMPHONY X opened their set with the first SIX tracks off of the Underworld disc -- a truly gloriously thundering assault on the mind and senses. The band has never been tighter on stage. Romeo is cool as ice, playing with zen-like precision; LePond strums away, one knee bent while Allen storms around the stage in his trademark silver shades - sight and sound to behold. Allen possesses a physical presence equal to his vocal prowess and within seconds of setting foot on stage, he had the crowd eating out of his hand. In the meantime, Rullo destroys the large kit towering above the stage while Pinnella's chords unify the instruments into a face-melting, sonic detonation.

Allen also added some theatrics to the set, performing TO HELL AND BACK wearing a mask reminiscent of their album cover artwork. (It also reminded me a little of Crimson Glory.) Allen is easily one of the best frontmen currently working and his ability to build rapport with an audience while being a powerhouse performer is undeniably brilliant.

I'm not the world's biggest OVERKILL fan - I didn't actually get into them until the Killbox 13 album. However after seeing them live 4 times, I'm now definitively a fan. Bobby is also an incredible frontmen and is completely outrageous - both as a performer and with his between-song banter. He's so genuinely funny - he cracked me and the audience up with his one-liners: "I told you all at the beginning of this sh*t, I am in charge!" "It's about to get dangerous in here, so you better listen up -- because I am a professional, goddammit!" If thrash metal could be measured in weapons, then Overkill is like the Ion Cannon from Star Wars.

I'd love to hear your reviews -- post please

Wanted to go to the Worcester show, but decided to catch Riverside in NYC that same night instead.

Might go to the NYC show of this tour, particularly because Sanctuary is opening it as well - but we'll see. :)

I love SX, but with the setlist they're doing, Overkill and Sanctuary would be bigger draws for me personally. SymX always kill it live regardless tho.

I am looking forward to seeing their show in Silver Spring, MD (Washington, DC) on October 16th. I already looked at the setlist, so I know it leans heavily with the new album. I wish they'd play more of their older catalog, but understand they are promoting their new album. Either way I'll go see them!

I remember their stellar ProgPower performance a couple of years ago when they played The Odyssey - all 24 minutes of it! :)

The Odyssey has been done live more than a few times. Divine Wings, on the other hand, was a most rare treat indeed.

In Chicago SX started a couple hours after doors opened. Each band played for about 1hr 15 min. Call the venue to check timeS, we did, and it was really close on.

Saw the Niagara Falls show. Overkill closed the show that night and IMO, totally wiped the floor with Symphony X. Not that they were bad but Overkill just had way more energy and their sound was a lot clearer than Symphony X. I swear I could barely understand a word Russell said for almost half of the set.

Does anyone know what time each band started/ended at? Going to the Tampa show but work just threw me a curveball....

I'll be at that same show, but it's tough to figure exact times. You never know what kinds of delays might occur, there may be a variable number of opening bands, and also on this tour, Symphony X and Overkill are alternating who plays first at various shows.

I'll be at that same show, but it's tough to figure exact times. You never know what kinds of delays might occur, there may be a variable number of opening bands, and also on this tour, Symphony X and Overkill are alternating who plays first at various shows.

The Tampa gig is at the Ritz and they run a pretty tight ship. Scheduled start time of the show is 8, so I would say the show will probably be starting on time. The last show I went to there (a couple of weeks ago) actually started a little ahead of schedule. Also, at that gig, there were no local openers, basically because you had Tremonti and Trivium both doing "headlining" length sets. I wouldn't think there would be more than one local act added on. If that's the case, I would expect whoever is going to go in first to be on stage around 8:45.

It unfortunately sounds like SX is continuing their traditional of high-volume mud mix. The only time their sound hasn't been absolute sh!t was when I saw them play outside on the first Gigantour.

Saw the Houston show with Symphony X first and Overkill second. Both bands were killer on stage and Russell Allen's Dio meets Peter Gabriel face maskery was a show highlight. Kiss of Fire sounded so heavy live I thought things were falling off the walls.

One thing that puzzled me is that the time of start was changed to one hour earlier than originally printed on the ticket, and the only notice I ever got came two hours before the show by email. I never saw it and, though I arrived "early," missed the entire first song and some of the second, while quite a few people who never got the memo missed Symphony X's set completely.

One thing that puzzled me is that the time of start was changed to one hour earlier than originally printed on the ticket, and the only notice I ever got came two hours before the show by email. I never saw it and, though I arrived "early," missed the entire first song and some of the second, while quite a few people who never got the memo missed Symphony X's set completely.

Oh man.... I would be pissed beyond belief.