In the Dragon's Den
Mar 31, 2003
Chicago, IL
www.themetalchick.net
Symphony X - Paradise Lost
Inside Out Music - 79252 - June 26, 2007
by Amanda J. Carlson
Symphony_X.jpg

Good things come to those who wait. Paradise Lost took five long years to create, and it was time well spent by this New Jersey five piece. It was a tall order to beat 2002’s The Odyssey, but they have far surpassed that goal, going heavier, darker, and more powerful than ever before. Even with the heaviness cranked up so high, they’ve kept the symphony in Symphony X with the classic orchestrations spread out within most of the songs. And though Paradise Lost is not a concept album, they have taken inspiration from the epic poem by John Milton and based each song on the underlying theme of the battle between good and evil.

Just as the 24-minute title track from The Odyssey began with a short instrumental symphonic piece, Paradise Lost begins with 'Oculus Ex Inferni,' which is real proof that the pairing of classical music and heavy metal is one of the greatest combinations ever devised. Though the orchestra is electronically created, the composition is brilliant. 'Set the World on Fire' does indeed set the world on fire, as it is the first introduction to their new super insanely heavy tone, and is complete with the showy shredfest solo section between guitar and keyboard. In 'Domination' they really push the limit of harshness vocally, balancing on the line between clean vocals and screams, but being such an intense song musically, it couldn't be a more perfect fit.

'The Serpent’s Kiss' was the first song to be released to the world, and interestingly it does not portray the overall style of this album. It stands out with its bluesy, jazzy and very progressive feel - something very different from anything they’ve ever done. The most beautiful song ever written by anyone in the history of time is 'Paradise Lost;' not to label myself as a softy, but when a song invokes tears just from being so intensely and amazingly passionate, you have a winner. They’ve also thrown in some power metal-ish tracks with 'Eve of Seduction' and 'Seven,' with the typical fast double bass drumming, fast keyboard and guitar melodies, fast riffs, fast everything. 'Walls of Babylon' may be the one song that has the most resemblance to their past work, namely 'Wicked' from The Odyssey, with the progressive riffs and layered vocals in the chorus. Following the sappy ballad, 'The Sacrifice,' is 'Revelation (Divus Pennae ex Tragoedia).' The latter part of that title translates roughly from Latin to 'Divine Wings of Tragedy,' which no doubt has every Symphony X fan scratching their heads. They got sneaky and weaved some bits of that song into this one.

I suppose the only negative thing is the lack of one of those 20+ minute epics that makes progressive metal fans drool. The album is solid enough without it, but with impeccable songs like 'Divine Wings of Tragedy' and 'The Odyssey' under their belt, it would certainly have been a treat. Though Symphony X may have taken a risk by going with a heavier, darker style, Paradise Lost is the gem from a venture worth taking.

Symphony X Official Website
Inside Out Music Official Website

I have it in my mind to purchase this, but I feel I need to explore their back catalogue first (I've only got The Odyssey). However, what I've heard from this album is tremendous; it still amazes me that these guys come from the quaint suburban empire of Jersey. :lol:

And at least it's better than Dream Theater's new offering. :erk:

I picked this one up on Monday & I've now heard it all once in the car. Definitely NOT as awesome as The Odyssey on first impression, but I do love the more modernised & aggressive sound on this record. It was a little disappointing that not one song here even reaches 10 minutes, but I'm sure once I give it a few more listens I'll learn to appreciate the new songs for what they are. It's quality over quantity at the end of the day, & Symphony X have always delivered on that front.

I have it in my mind to purchase this, but I feel I need to explore their back catalogue first (I've only got The Odyssey). However, what I've heard from this album is tremendous; it still amazes me that these guys come from the quaint suburban empire of Jersey. :lol:

Lies, Systematic Chaos destroys :kickass:

Paradise Lost is quite good, though. Not as much going on in terms of technicality as superior outfits like DT (they seem to like Yngwie Malmsteem... a lot...), but their vocalist is great, and the subject matter is cheesily awesome. Definately some solid tracks here, such as Domination, Set the World on Fire, and Serpent's Kiss. This is one SX album I can actually recommend.

DT's was good. Not as good as previous works obviously, but I still like it.

I picked this one up on Monday & I've now heard it all once in the car. Definitely NOT as awesome as The Odyssey on first impression, but I do love the more modernised & aggressive sound on this record. It was a little disappointing that not one song here even reaches 10 minutes, but I'm sure once I give it a few more listens I'll learn to appreciate the new songs for what they are. It's quality over quantity at the end of the day, & Symphony X have always delivered on that front.

On first impression this album is not as good and is disappointing. But after 100+ listens it's really really good.

First time I really listened to this band and I'm certainly impressed with the musicianship. I am not a power metal fan, but this obviously contains some excellent neo-classical material. Romeo's guitar playing is incendiary and imo, very fluid. Rullo's drumming is another strong point. Russel Allen is one of the best, and I liked the use of acoustic piano. Someone told me one of the songs is in fuckin' 25/8 time. I'm trying to figure out which one. Anybody know?

it still amazes me that these guys come from the quaint suburban empire of Jersey. :lol:

You need to listen to Suspyre's new disc.. They are another New Jersey band who's new disc trumps this one...

Many of the passages within the songs on PL sound too close to some of their previous stuff...