Symphony X question

JayKeeley

Be still, O wand'rer!
Apr 26, 2002
www.royalcarnage.com
I posted this in the Symphony X forum - let's see what responses we get here....

I'm curious, but which band influences do you hear when you listen to Symphony X? Obvious comparisons to DT etc have been done to death, but I'm trying to locate the real source of inspiration, not necessarily peers and sound-alikes.

On songs like "The Accolade" and "Communion & the Oracle", for example, I personally hear a definite strand of Mike Oldfield (Tubular Bells era), but in talking to Mike Romeo, he doesn't cite Oldfield as an influence as much as, say, John Williams (obviously more apparent on songs like "The Odyssey").

Those plucked strings and piano pieces that SyX play are stunning, and I figure that with the 70's vibe, there must be other bands/artists that did this kind of stuff before - (I'm just not familiar with the prog scene, particularly that of the 1970's when it was probably biggest).

:Spin:

JayKeeley said:
I posted this in the Symphony X forum - let's see what responses we get here....

I'm curious, but which band influences do you hear when you listen to Symphony X? Obvious comparisons to DT etc have been done to death, but I'm trying to locate the real source of inspiration, not necessarily peers and sound-alikes.

On songs like "The Accolade" and "Communion & the Oracle", for example, I personally hear a definite strand of Mike Oldfield (Tubular Bells era), but in talking to Mike Romeo, he doesn't cite Oldfield as an influence as much as, say, John Williams (obviously more apparent on songs like "The Odyssey").

Those plucked strings and piano pieces that SyX play are stunning, and I figure that with the 70's vibe, there must be other bands/artists that did this kind of stuff before - (I'm just not familiar with the prog scene, particularly that of the 1970's when it was probably biggest).

if you listen to it also real good you will hear the Kansas sounding influences as well....one of my classic rock favs :)

I hear Kansas and Yes in their style. I hear Dio in Russ' voice. I hear a ton of different inflluences in Michael's playing. While Yngwie is the most obvious, his influences are wide ranging. I've even heard the occasional tip of the hat to Gilmour in his soloing.

By the way, great interview on the Royal Carnage site.

Greg in NJ

General Zod said:
I hear Kansas and Yes in their style. I hear Dio in Russ' voice. I hear a ton of different inflluences in Michael's playing. While Yngwie is the most obvious, his influences are wide ranging. I've even heard the occasional tip of the hat to Gilmour in his soloing.
Oh man, Gilmour just rules, and Kansas seems like the biggest culprit for those string/piano arrangements perhaps. Got some interesting responses over at the Sy X forum with one person even suggesting Willie Nelson. The Yngwie/Rhoads influence is reasonably obvious too - although Romeo manages to not sound like a complete clone.
By the way, great interview on the Royal Carnage site.

Greg in NJ
Yeah it's not bad I guess, heh... :D