Symphony X / X50 & Lecto / Cheating like a whore

Awesome :headbang: It´s one of my favourite tracks on the album. The only criticism that I can do it´s that the whole mix it´s a litlle bit bright. Can become a bit ear fatiguing. Otherwise it´s quite good. I dont know how you do it but the solo it´s awesome. Even with a hell of edits you had to play it, so congrats :headbang:

Wow thanks a lot guys, didn't expect that much replies tbh :lol:

I hope I made it clear in the first post that the fast stuff is really WAY out of my comfort zone and that I didn't play all of it (hence the cheating whore title^^).
I tried to get it in as fast as I could without beeing too sloppy, but not so slow that it would sound strange when beeing set faster...since I also wanted to challange myself a bit I tried not to get too slow, so it was pretty hard to record in the end...for me at least lol

the tapping part was the most annoying/hard part, as my brain just isnt smart enough to remember all of it...it felt a bit like "painting-by-numbers"...if it is called like that also in english (?)

in the end I wanted to see if it is possible to get it in, Im quite surprised myself it turned out so well...also happy you guys dig the production, tried to not rely on stuff I allready used a lot and try something new.
The song was an obvious choice for me, as its my favorite from the albums before "paradise lost".

the song is 1 half step lower in original tuning though...my guitar is in D# standard, not in D so I just recorded it that way

"One Take Marco!" m/ ;)
:lol:

Brutal tone, sounds awesome! What is X50? Amp sim??
yeah its onqels awesome amp sim of the 6505+
http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/equipment/678020-tse-x50-beta.html

:cry::cry:

listening to this i realize i will never ever be able to make anything sound anything like this

want 100$ to your paypal account right now? send me the full project file and show me your tricks! you can remove the audio / midi ofc

haha thanks man, but I doubt that that would be of any use and just a waste of money ;)
but if you want to know anything just ask :)

Woahh klingt das fett!!! Awesome :kickass:

Like in the original synthies could be a bit louder imo.

yeah I think so too, they'd need some automation of the volume, but I didnt have time for it so far
synths were a bit of a bitch, I tried a lot of different styles until I had something that I liked

that was quite epic!! Nice song choice btw, I was just listening to this song on the way back from work a few minutes ago, lol

THE HEADBANGING RIFF in this song is beyond awesome and so it was quite obvious for me which song to pick \m/

Awesome :headbang: It´s one of my favourite tracks on the album. The only criticism that I can do it´s that the whole mix it´s a litlle bit bright. Can become a bit ear fatiguing. Otherwise it´s quite good. I dont know how you do it but the solo it´s awesome. Even with a hell of edits you had to play it, so congrats :headbang:

thanks nuno! I have a little shapes of the highs going on in the mastering eq that I even lowered before the mixdown, but I also think it wouldnt hurt to go easier with it...
haha yeah the solo was interesting...about the first one I can say that I actually "played" it, even if it was slower...but the tapping part was more of a production experiment I'd say^^

Wow. Just wow. This is fantastic. Do you mind sharing the chain on the L/R guitars? ;)

of course I dont mind:

Main pair of rhythms (100L/100R)
EMG81-TW -> saffire le -> TS808 -> X50 lead channel (EL34 I think) -> lecab with asem recto and orange_2mics impulses

2nd pair of rhythms (90L/90R and really low compared to the main pair)
EMG81-TW -> saffire le -> SoloC as boost -> Lecto modern orange -> lecab with asem recto and orange_2mics impulses

comp on every single track to even out some of the PMs
and the rhythmbus its only HP/LP and a bit of reverb, no additional EQ as far as I remember.
Tried to tweak the 2 pairs of guitars to really work with eachother, so in the end I didnt need any EQ.
X50 rather a bit more middy and aggresive, while the lecto tracks provide some beef and thickness.

beavisandbutthead-banging.gif

For God's scrotum, that is awesome! Somebody sing on that please!

Impulses?

dude can you upload backing with the D.I guitars to try out some reamping ?

Thanks dudes!
Wow that has been 5 months ago or so :lol:

So this version here with the ampsims into impulses is an old one, in the meantime I did reamps with my 6505+ into impulses, which turned out pretty nice overall as I also mixed it less bright in the end.
Also re-recorded with another (better) bass. So in that version it's a cheap ass ibanez starter kit bass with old ass strings, in the new one its an awesome 5-string yamaha with new strings.
So that sounds a lot better.
We also did record some vocals for it, but never finished it...I have some time tomorrow, so that shall be my project for friday haha

I didnt update this thread because it never felt "finished" and also I initially wanted (and still want) to try to reamp through a rig and mic it up

For the bass chain: 2 tracks of the same DI, one with AT3 for clean bass tracks and one with TSE BOD for distortion. Comp and EQ on both tracks.

I can upload some DI's and a backing when it is finished, but honstly I dont know anymore if I had new strings on when I recorded it. They werent black and fucked, but Im not sure if they were younger the a few days or not

fuck dude this sounds awesome. don't really remember hearing your stuff before, shit sounds absolutely legit.