Symphorce – Become Death

TheWyvern

Oct 22, 2006
Symphorce – Become Death
Metal Blade Records– 3984-14608-2– 26th Feb 2007
By Dan Fisher

Symphorce.jpg

Okay is Andy B. Franck a pseudonym or what? Does anyone know? Because if not, then the lead singer must be given the title of having the coolest real name in metal. Anyway, about his band…..

Symphorce play a mixture of modern genres including power metal, 80’s cheese, death metal and even nu metal. This year they are back with Become Death, the group’s sixth album that has had allot of interest from press and fans alike. If the record is anything like their last offering Twice Second, then the production will be tight and the choruses will sound like Hulk Hogan’s wrestling match theme music. So, is there anything more to this album than the usual power metal valour?

Hmm, I’m not so impressed by this. True, everything is in the right place; the guitars squeal on demand, the riffs are heavy, the vocals show good range all wrapped up in great production. But here is the weird thing: The album just has no hooks! I was waiting for at least one song to capture my imagination but everything sounded overproduced and the life squeezed out of it. Most of all I cannot stand the current trend for blandness in lyrics. Jesus, talk about pandering to the lowest common denominator. You might as well write stuff like: ‘put your hands in the air, wave them around like you just don’t care.’ Seriously guys, try and craft something for the audience to get involved in. Look at Therion’s last effort. We had a concept to take in and surround ourselves with and we embraced it. I think the key point I’m trying to make is don’t underestimate your audience: they enjoy being challenged and making new discoveries in your music just as much as you do.

I’m slightly incredulous of myself that I’m lambasting this album since its overall sheen is so good but it is this very element that lets it down. I will continue to argue against such blandness until it’s corrected. Your witness…….

Official Symphorce Website
Official Metal Blade Website

Hmmm.....isn't the hook in "condemned" almost exactly like the hook in "Everlasting Life" from Godspeed? What is up with that?