Synth sound on Moontower?

Orchid

Nonchalant Onlooker
May 5, 2001
www.thalesband.com
Cheers,

What, pray tell, is the name of the lead synth sound/patch that is used all over Moontower? If you're in need of a quick reminder: it kicks in right at the beginning of "Sun of the Night".

Actually, the same sound is used on Crimson II, but quite sparsely.

I asked this once, but I can't remember the answer, because I'm old and forgetful.
I *think* it was from a JP-8000.
You can get this type of sound from pretty much any (virtual-)analogue synth, though, with a bit of twiddling and that. It's basically a classic Minimoog lead.

The original patch in JP8000/JP8080 was called "Dual Minis" or something and all I did was to change the filter a little bit. The reason why that sound is everywhere is that it started out as a substitute sound for "other stuff" like guitarleads, other keyboardsounds etc. but when I tried to replace it, it just sounded worse. I knew it was a radical thing to use that sound to such an extent, but I wanted it to be a trademark just like Clive Nolans sawleads on the early Arena and some of the Pendragon albums. From now on that sound is a "Moontower" lead...that's it. I have copied it in Novation softsynth called V-Station. (Open Lead in Pro52 works well too, but the modulation sucks)

Dan

Thanks for the responses.
Old Amiga games tunes are the reason I asked. I found (well, re-discovered) a couple of great tunes, some of which use a similar lead synth. I thought I'd give a stab at remaking one or two of them, although they sound perfect just the way they are: 8-bit, 4 channels.

*nostalgic sigh and a sniff*

Orchid said:
Thanks for the responses.
Old Amiga games tunes are the reason I asked. I found (well, re-discovered) a couple of great tunes, some of which use a similar lead synth. I thought I'd give a stab at remaking one or two of them, although they sound perfect just the way they are: 8-bit, 4 channels.

*nostalgic sigh and a sniff*

Gota love Turrican :cool:

Finally; I got myself a copy of the Moontower-album today!
Although I've heard it a thousand times I never get tired of it, and the sound that the synth creates is absolutely perfect!