system of a down to return in 2011

It's an amazing album. I caught System at a festival the week before it came out, I'd never heard them before, and they absolutely blew me away. Went out the day Toxicity came out and bought it... loved them ever since. They're the only band who emerged from that nu-metal crowd that ever did anything for me. Not that they're nu-metal in the cliched way, just that they emerged at the same time as Limp Bizkit, Slipknot and all that other nonsense.

Toxicity was one of the albums that changed my life, so I've always loved System & always will. SO SO stoked to see them at whatever festivals they decide to play. "Big announcement" is on Monday, BOOYA.

Joe makes a good point.

And I have to say, I think System is a good band, filled with talented musicians, I just don't like most of their music. Mainly Serj's vocals. :ill:

:guh:

I think not. I mean, its good on some songs, like Question! and Chop Suey and a few others, but on songs like BYOB and Suite Pee, I just want to smash my radio against a brick wall.

Yes, but "pop" no longer denotes any music that's popular, just like "indie" no longer denotes any music that's independent.

Indie music isn't independent though. It's become it's own style.

Same with pop. It isn't a set genre. There's loads of different styles on the radios.. Like there's dubstep and then all that auto tuned bollocks, then other rather different stuff. It's all pop. So when SOAD were constantly on BBC and the top 40, it was pop... I suppose it still is pop.

Indie music isn't independent though. It's become it's own style.

Same with pop. It isn't a set genre. There's loads of different styles on the radios.. Like there's dubstep and then all that auto tuned bollocks, then other rather different stuff. It's all pop. So when SOAD were constantly on BBC and the top 40, it was pop... I suppose it still is pop.

It just wasn't, and isn't. It was metal. Popular metal may be popular, but it isn't pop... If someone asked you what pop music sounds like, and you played them SOAD, then that would be massively unrepresentative of what pop music is. In fact I entirely disagree... I'd say that pop music is a set genre recognisable for its musical characteristics. X-Factor bollocks and all that, or Vengaboys in the 90s... Are you really telling me that Iron Maiden were pop music when Bring Your Daughter to the Slaughter got to #1? Just because it was popular for a bit?!

There are loads of popular bands that don't play pop music. Radiohead, The Prodigy, SOAD, Metallica... All have received extensive radio play at points of their respective careers without playing pop music... or what about Miles Davis? He's pretty popular, I'm sure Kind of Blue has sold a hell of a lot of copies! But to lump him in with Gareth Gates or Five-Star or Blue is kind of harsh, no?

It just wasn't, and isn't. It was metal. Popular metal may be popular, but it isn't pop... If someone asked you what pop music sounds like, and you played them SOAD, then that would be massively unrepresentative of what pop music is. In fact I entirely disagree... I'd say that pop music is a set genre recognisable for its musical characteristics. X-Factor bollocks and all that, or Vengaboys in the 90s... Are you really telling me that Iron Maiden were pop music when Bring Your Daughter to the Slaughter got to #1? Just because it was popular for a bit?!

There are loads of popular bands that don't play pop music. Radiohead, The Prodigy, SOAD, Metallica... All have received extensive radio play at points of their respective careers without playing pop music... or what about Miles Davis? He's pretty popular, I'm sure Kind of Blue has sold a hell of a lot of copies! But to lump him in with Gareth Gates or Five-Star or Blue is kind of harsh, no?

I guess we just don't agree here. But... The Beatles are considered pop... so is Lady Gaga.

Pop

Pop

Very different, eh?

It can be whatever's popular. SOAD may be metal, but it'd still fall under pop in my eyes.

Not all pop is fucking Gareth Gates... That's one POOR low example that just puts it all down.

Last edited by a moderator:
Come Together isn't Pop. Once the Beatles went mad after Help they stopped being a pop band really... I guess Rubber Soul may still be considered quite poppy... Revolver, not really. Abbey Road, definitely not!

There is some good pop music occasionally. Pop doesn't equal bad. But it's certainly not synonymous with anything popular...

Fact is, back then people called them a pop band regardless. Pop is just a term for a popular band, then there's other genres to it. There's sooo many genres in the top 40 right now but it's all also pop.

That's my opinion anyway.