T&N (Dokken remnants)

Bamafan

Sep 11, 2010
Heart of Dixie
Over the years, I have mostly been appreciative of George Lynch's post Dokken work. His Lynch-Pilson release was outstanding. The guys from Dokken (minus Don Dokken) have a new release out. Does anyone think they're PP worthy?

I hadn't paid attention to anything post-Dokken, but this is pretty good. Pilson's range is decent but maybe not for this tune. Compositionally, this reminds me of Hurricane era Impellitteri, who I think would be a better fit for a PP.

As a long-time fan of Pilson and Lynch, I dig the original material on the T&N disc. It actually reminds me of a heavier version of the L/P album they released a decade ago. However, as a huge Dokken fan, I could have done without the re-recordings of their classic tunes, with the exception of the Pilson-fronted "Into The Fire." The band is supposed to release a second disc later this year with the same format of half original material and half re-recordings. From there, the band is supposed to tour the States with Michael Sweet singing the Dokken material and providing additional guitars. As cool as the prospect of seeing the band live would be, though, I don't really think they would make a proper fit for ProgPower.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert

While they are not PPUSA material, I really hope to get a chance to see them live.

Me too. I still insist that Pilson was the best songwriter from the whole Dokken camp. Lynch has his moments, but Pilson is consistently EXCELLENT. All the War & Peace material rocked, as did Lynch-Pilson and T&N.

In hindsight, Don really was the weak link there.

Me too. I still insist that Pilson was the best songwriter from the whole Dokken camp. Lynch has his moments, but Pilson is consistently EXCELLENT. All the War & Peace material rocked, as did Lynch-Pilson and T&N.

In hindsight, Don really was the weak link there.

amen to that:worship:

While I know as well as anybody else (or better, having seen Dokken twelve times since 1995!), Don's voice on stage is horrid. From that perspective, he is the weakest link of the musicians associated with the band. However, I would put Don's songwriting abilities up against those of Pilson or Lynch anyday. The songs on "Up From The Ashes" alone are better than anything that Jeff or George have written outside of Dokken. In addition, Dokken's last three albums have some great material written by Don and current guitarist Jon Levin. I would recommend checking out the albums "Hell To Pay" and "Lightning Strikes Again" in particular.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert

However, I would put Don's songwriting abilities up against those of Pilson or Lynch anyday. The songs on "Up From The Ashes" alone are better than anything that Jeff or George have written outside of Dokken. In addition, Dokken's last three albums have some great material written by Don and current guitarist Jon Levin.

The newer Dokken material was better than I anticipated it being, but I don't think it measures up to most of Lynch's or Pilson's material over the same time frame. "Up from the Ashes" was a great album too, but was it better than "Wicked Sensation" or the first War & Peace? I dunno...... It was close at least.

T&N > Broken Bones
Lynch Mob "Smoke & Mirrors" > "Lightning Strikes Again"

Etc.

Meh....I still listen to "Up From The Ashes"...I can't say the same for "Wicked Sensation" or the first War & Peace. I always felt that all three dudes were at their best writing together than when they were separate (well...Shadowlife was pretty bad). At their peak (Tooth And Nail, Under Lock And Key and Back For The Attack), Dokken was my favorite band, hands down.

At their peak (Tooth And Nail, Under Lock And Key and Back For The Attack), Dokken was my favorite band, hands down.

I saw them open for Dio in the "Tooth & Nail"/ "Last in Line" tour. Dokken simply killed killed killed it. Possibly the most electrifying hard rock performance I've ever seen. After their set I was exhausted - luckily it was Dio up next so I toughed my way through the night.

I could probably sing half the songs from "Tooth and Nail" right now if the music started up... and I think my only copy of that is vinyl, so I haven't actually listened to it in decades.