taming the dynamics of replaced drums

ForefrontStudio

Micah Amstutz
Jan 1, 2009
NE Ohio
I've been having a lot of trouble with snare hits all cutting through equally in my mixes. I always go through the song and cut weak hits and crank em up a bit so they hit drumagog a bit harder, but I've noticed a lot of times there's a strong waveform, but the hit is still weak in the mix, when other hits are plenty loud. I'm thinking maybe it's a phase issue with certain samples? maybe a lot of my problem is because I'm duplicating tracks (such as the snare track) 2 or 3 times, and blending different samples together. maybe that's causing a phase issue? I know a lot of guys on here blend samples like that. how do you guys solve this issue, or am I the only one having it?

p.s. it's good to be back. I had to take a bit of a break from this forum because I was on here so much, it was distracting me from my projects and causing me to fall behind. haha.

putting Gclip on the snare track will also avoid getting burried when mastering.
maybe drumagog randomly puts samples on the snare? take a look at the samples and mute the weak ones in drumagog.

ya always hafta duplicate the snare track and have one for "cracks" with dynamic off, and another track for softer more dynamic parts. then i slice everything up and remove regions with false triggers in them, and plop the remaining regions on their appropriate tracks.

Honestly, this might not be an option for you. I used to use drumagog on pc but I recently switched over to mac with reaper. I can't get drumagog to work for me on reaper. I have been demoing a friends copy of aptrigga. I have been using maybe two different snare samples with the random setting and it's amazing. Will be purchasing soon.

I used to have your same issue with drumagog. The main difference is it is just two samples with no detection of dynamics.... Most people on this forum would probably advise against this method but it has been working for me. So try instead of loading up a gog file with a shit ton of random samples just load up one or two snare samples from your collection that are really good. It helps with dynamics but may also give you that machine gun effect depending on the sample.

Just a thought... :)

I always have my recorded drums (processed) backed by a sample, so in a way it is not totally replaced, instead it acts like a helper. The helper sample is normal the one hit (not a gog), due to the orginal recorded drums being present the dynamics within these make the drum tracks less machine gun like. The helper track just makes sure that those weaker hits are still punching thru. I also use a transient designer alot to get the drums punching out of the mix.