Drum approach?

Studdy

Jan 24, 2012
How many people here track multiple samples of each drum hit at the start of the session and then use those samples replace everything? I always sample the drums at the start of a session to use to replace bad hits etc. later. But i'd never tried to use them to replace everything.It is a way to get no bleed whatsoever on drum hits and found it would work really well for less dynamic songs. Obviously if you have 100 velocities of each hit it would be very time consuming. What i did was take roughly 8 kick samples and 16 samples of the snare and toms. Then just replaced all the hits with drumagog. Obviously this could be a recipe for a ton of phase issues but surprisingly enough it worked pretty flawlessly and the drums sound huge. I dont think i would attempt this on a dynamic jazz performance but for simpler rock and metal beats I think its decent. Any thoughts on this or is this a pretty common approach for some people. Thanks

i've never done it for the whole kit fully replaced, what i do like to do is take my sample and use them to augment what's already there, so i'll use a snare sample that triggers with every "real" snare hit, this is usually to be able to get the snares top end to cut through though when the hats are too loud in the snare mic, i might use a kick sample under the recorded kick too for a solid thud the whole way if there aren't any quieter parts, but for me it's always augmentation of the performance that's already there, it keeps the human element, but of course i would replace weak hits where the drummer didn't connect with the drum correctly etc

I tend to record multi-velocity samples of the whole kit before or after tracking, alot of the time I don't end up using them but it's nice to have samples of the kit handy in case I've somehow got it to sound amazing.