Tape/record cutting out effect?

Mar 23, 2008
Brighton, UK
Hey guys,
Just a quick question for a project I'm working on right now, how do you create 'tape/record cutting out effect', where the sound sorta slows down really quickly to a stop, like when your battery dies on a tape Walkman or something? I'm trying to think of an example, but nothing springs to mind right now, I guess it would sound like what's going on at the beginning of 'Daylight Dies' by Killswitch Engage, but faster and in reverse?

Sorry if I'm not being very specific. Thanks in advance!

It was possible to do this handy enough with adobe audition/cool edit pro in the pitsh shift/time shift area.
Not really used many daws on macs but i'd have a gander at those areas on yours to see if you can replicate it there

It was possible to do this handy enough with adobe audition/cool edit pro in the pitsh shift/time shift area.
Not really used many daws on macs but i'd have a gander at those areas on yours to see if you can replicate it there

I've had a quick look but nothing springs out at me. I'll have a closer look later and see, but cheers for the advice. I'm using Pro Tools 7.4 if that helps anyone?

what you're hearing is good ol vari fi in pro tools.
D-Fi%20Vari-Fi.gif

no... thats that a capture of my system... lol
but thats is the easiest way.
high light the region, audio sweet in vari fi.
Done.
alternitavely automate the pitch down by automating a pitch plugin, creating a copy of the region and timestreching it and crossfading.

(much more effort to get sounding good)

i just use cubase time strech and slope the strech from 0 to like two octaves down

spioraid youre close to me, where you live at in cville man? im right off stone by stone middleschool

i just use cubase time strech and slope the strech from 0 to like two octaves down

spioraid youre close to me, where you live at in cville man? im right off stone by stone middleschool

straight down 29 before you hit the manassas battlefield. we're practically neighbors! haha.