Tape VS Digital, the clips!

RevoltStudios

Aug 2, 2009
Ok, so I have this Otari 2 track. I just mixed a song and thus, want to tape it, so I do and record it back into nuendo for comparison...the files below are those clips. Same song, hear for yourself.

DISCLAIMER: I have no clue about tape machines yet, I THINK I have it set up right and think there is some phasing on the left channel, seems to be the tape more perhaps? Also, be aware you DO have to mix for tape so things may not be as balanced as you'd expect. Pay attention to the guitar tone difference and the drums in the vocal section, HUGE difference!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3566975/Digital.wav

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3566975/Tape.wav

volumes aside (tape is louder), I think tape one's much better but 2 problems:

the big one: the sound goes from C to L and then R (?¿) seems like panning or weird artefacts. you can hear it clearly in the toms rythym section.

and another not so important , it needs a boost in the lows a tad.

The tape is giving a lot of that sound I've come to associate with the Alex B console programs. That natural analogue saturation that makes everything sound more glued, but at the expense of overall clarity. Very cool.

well in incredibly primitive ideas:

is "tape" (or tape saturation for the sake of the idea) pretty much always classified by the "warmth" (low mid bump)?? Or am I so off the mark I need to give up? haha

Like, what makes tape saturation the desired effect in an instance? Like ermz said, it glues, but lacks clarity...

I just shit bricks :S

The difference is so easily discernible, it seems that when people say its not as CLEAR with tape, but more glued, i think its immediately that ITB mixes just have no GIVE so to speak. They are clearer, but at the expense of sounding sterile. I for one, really really like that tape mix :p

It's a pretty big difference I must say! I don't have the low EQ even set right and it kills. After a few more questions and study, this thing will be a masterbus secret weapon for sure. It's a HUGE pain in the butt though to learn lol.:kickass: