Tear This Mix Apart

selke61

Music Producing Ginger
Jan 25, 2011
Literally, just wreck this.:ill: It's poop and I hate it. It's like a prom baby; in the trash. This is a cover of Underoath's "It's Dangerous..."

Lately, I've been so damn busy with school/work, I haven't been paying attention to too much to details and not studying my mixes enough, so a nice criticism discussion shall re-jog my noggin.

Ignore the crappy drum samples, though, getting Slate/Sturgis samples soon. However, tell me what needs to be louder, lower, hp, lp, the works.

So yeah, just help me out. Thanks!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/33877996/Dangerous Business Cover ROUGH.mp3

Drums are wrong!!! :p I love to warn up to uo when I drum lol but yeah it's pretty good. Just needs that "umph" ya know?

I think the guitars would actually be pretty close if you lowered the gain. The drums definitely need some power. Either they're sitting too low in the mix or the guitars are just way too loud. i think it's a combination of both. Let the drums and guitars meet in the middle and it will be an improvement. It also seems like the bass is too low.

Thanks for the tips guys. I'm not so proud of this mix. So I'll try lowering the guitars. The drums are already loud enough because the kick peaks at like (-17db)-(-15db) and the snare (top and bottom) around -10dbs. Is that too loud for them? The guitars (I make a bus for them) peak around -20db I think, so you'd think the drums would be way louder. And I agree, I should turn the bass up, but I usually get told my bass is too loud.

I also think my kick has a nice low end punch to it, but it deff needs some clarity. Couldn't even hear it on my laptop.

Drums are wrong!!! :p I love to warn up to uo when I drum lol but yeah it's pretty good. Just needs that "umph" ya know?

Haha, I wasn't so picky about getting the drums 100%, so I just snagged a tab from offline. Close enough to me.

yupp. less gain on the guits, and bring back your other samples dude!! esp the kick.. missing the balls your previous mixes had. just my opinion :)

The gain is pretty low, I just need to cut out some fuzz around 3k. And I'm getting Joey/Slate samples soon. Like I said, these samples are just getting me by (Practicing MIDI programming rather the Beatcraft way, with .wavs and .oggs. Time killing shit) I can't use my Joey Sturgis snare samples or my custom kick because EzDrummer doesn't let you use your own samples, unfortunately. Or I would. I really do hate these samples.