Telefunken M80-SH vs. Shure SM57 - Snare Mic Shootout!

BLUElightCory

May 24, 2007
www.coryspotts.com
I got my Telefunken M80-SH today so I figured I'd throw it up against my favorite SM57 and see how it did. Very impressive indeed! I previously owned a regular M80 and loved it, but it was very large and tough to position on some setups. The -SH is less than half the size of the M80.

Both mics were about 1.5" above the head, about .5" over the rim, pointed at the center of the snare. Snare is a Ludwig Black Beauty 6.5" x 14" with a Remo Controlled Sound X head. I didn't tune the snare at all but it sounded good enough to test the mics. Mic pre was an API 3124. Zero processing, just mic --> pre --> A/D.

The samples are the same performance and are level matched, but you'll notice that the M80 sounds louder. This is because this thing picks up a crazy amount of stick attack, so at the same level (peaks at -.1 dB full scale) the M80 feels more in-your-face. A very good thing for rock and metal. The 57 is no slouch either and for some snares/sounds might be preferable.

The samples (EDIT: Updated with the correct links, sorry!):

Telefunken M80-SH

Shure SM57

Soundcloud set containing both files

They sound REALLY damn similar, moreso than I was expecting! I like the high end extension on the M80 and the midrange doesn't seem as clouded; almost like what an i5 does vs a 57 but in a better way. How's the bleed on the thing?

They sound REALLY damn similar, moreso than I was expecting! I like the high end extension on the M80 and the midrange doesn't seem as clouded; almost like what an i5 does vs a 57 but in a better way. How's the bleed on the thing?

I haven't tracked a full kit with the M80-SH (just got it today), but my regular M80 had noticeably less bleed than the 57 - it was just harder to position properly to take advantage of it. The SH is much easier to get in there so I imagine it'll be better than the standard M80 for snare.

I thought about putting my i5 up there as well, but I've kind of fallen out of love with it as a top snare mic so I didn't bother. It's got a bit too much "KOONNGG" to it for me, for lack of a better term. I like it a lot as a bottom snare mic though. Compared to the M80, the i5 has a bit more lows and low mids, similar midrange, and less high end crack.

The M80 really is all about the crack/stick attack. There's also a flatter version with more low end and less high end, the M81, that I'd love to try next.