Tempo map: how detailed maps do you use?

xzenx

New Metal Member
Feb 24, 2010
Hey There!

We are mapping out tempos for an album, the music is not straight metal, more of a post-hardcore/rock/metal vibe but whatever... We have a lot of tempo changes in a few songs (8-10), but so far we set each distinct part (verse, chorus, bridge etc...) to a fix tempo, so there's no tempo changes during a chorus etc. The idea behind this was to keep the tempo consistent throughout each section.

Our producer guy started making all sorts of small tempo changes (2-5 bpm) throughout the songs, and in one chorus he wants to speed up the fill at the end of every line by a few bpms, so the chorus is basically one tempo with 5 bpm jumps at the end of every line (for one bar). He says he feels it suits that part well, and it brings in more of a loose feel, as we would be playing it without a click.

So generally, how detailed are your tempo maps? Do you change tempos in very small sections as well (half bar - one bar), like for a fill? How many bpms?
Or would you rather keep each section one consistent tempo?

What's your ideas on getting down to such detail with the tempo?

xzenx

Depends on the music, but it sounds like your producer is good at what he does. The more detailed your tempo map, the more "human" your songs will sound.

Speeding up or slowing down fills is a GREAT way of making music exciting!

I remember Andy saying he sometimes speeds up choruses by like 2bpm or so.
I think it could be cool.
Currently I'm having a hard time with a band with tons of tempo changes because I feel like the songs would flow a lot better if they tried to keep everything a little more cohesive but they insist on certain parts being a certain speed even if it sounds awkward going to that tempo from the previous one :erk:

I think everything has 'tempo ramps.'

I don't play with it unless it's a blatent change, if I'm perfectly honest. When I'm editing (particularly with drums and bass), I'll impart a certain feel of rushing or dragging if that's what I feel is needed, but otherwise, it's pretty much constant.

As detailed as needed. If there's a change, it better be on the map. I've heard of upping the chorus or whatever by a little bit, but changing a fill by a few bpm every bar just sounds really awkward. Seems really unnatural. Why make it sound like the band rushes fills constantly? Maybe it's just me though.

We used Andy's trick about speeding the tempo up a little in the choruses on our new album. Definitely make sure your tempo map is super tight though....otherwise it will be a total mess. And make sure your arrangements are nailed down too because if they change in the studio, all your markers/tempo changes/etc will be off on the PT file, and that will suck too. Especially if you've got any odd time signatures.

I also dick around with chorus tempos etc. Not always, but when the chorus calls for just a little kick faster to get that vibe going, then we will do it, other than that, I just leave it :)

Unless there's a full on tempo change of course :)

I remember Andy saying he sometimes speeds up choruses by like 2bpm or so.
I think it could be cool.
Currently I'm having a hard time with a band with tons of tempo changes because I feel like the songs would flow a lot better if they tried to keep everything a little more cohesive but they insist on certain parts being a certain speed even if it sounds awkward going to that tempo from the previous one :erk:

I fucking HATE that. "Hey lets go from 240 to 150!" Where is the facepalm when I need it.

depends totally on the band. for the sort of thing you're doing; which sounds fairly similar to my band, yeah, do them where it feels right.
i have my laptop with Logic (euuuuuughh) on it at practice, and once we've written the song, we work out a consistant tempo for it, then work out where it may need changes. some songs need more than others, but heres a reasonably typical song.

Screenshot2010-03-23at124729.png

IMO it all depends on the song, the band, the style, etc.

For what my band does, we don't have a lot of tempo changes. Usually, if something changes, it's just going from one time signature to another, which to get the feel similar, usually has a jump or drop in the tempo.

Other than my band, I've never tracked a band that used a click :cry:, although most had songs that changed tempos throughout (some on purpose, others not ;)