Ten Years After's Alvin Lee Dead At 68

KingsGene

God of Thunder
Apr 1, 2005
near KC
www.kingsofthenight.com
One for us old farts.... another one of the great performers from the original Woodstock era....R.I.P.

From http://www.bravewords.com/news/200071 :

According to the BBC, TEN YEARS AFTER leader Alvin Lee has died aged 68. His family announced on his official website that he unexpectedly died on March 6 following complications during routine surgery.

The Nottingham, UK-born musician rose to fame after appearing at the Woodstock festival in 1969. The band, who had eight Top 40 albums in the UK, had their biggest hit in 1971 with 'I'd Love To Change the World'.

"We have lost a wonderful and much loved father and companion, the world has lost a truly great and gifted musician," said the statement from his wife and daughters.

Lee worked with THE BEATLES' GEORGE HARRISON, STEVE WINWOOD, RONNIE WOOD and MICK FLEETWOOD on his first solo album, On the Road to Freedom, in 1973.

He released his 14th record, Still On The Road To Freedom, in August last year. He was due to play a concert at Olympia Hall in Paris on 7 April with blues guitarist JOHNNY WINTER.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, this is really unfortunate. Alvin was a very talented guitarist. I have always wanted to see him live, but never had the chance. If you want to hear some really amazing live improvised music, then check out Ten Years After's double live album "Recorded Live". Also, their Woodstock performance is legendary, but "Recorded Live" was their very best in my humble opinion. It is definitely in my top ten live albums of all time. Here is a link:

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Recorded-Live-Ten-Years-After/dp/B0000076MI/ref=sr_sp-btf_title_2_17?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1362614594&sr=1-17&keywords=ten+years+after[/ame]

It is sad to see some of my old hero's passing away, but Alvin left us with lot of really great music to enjoy:).

I remember back in 1973 when Ten Years After "Recorded Live" was released on LP .......we played it to death.

Strangely, a friend of mine gave me a CD of the album a few weeks ago and I was playing it the other night .........brought back wonderful memories of a better time.

R.I.P. Alvin -- you were an unsung hero.