Tesla - Mechanical Resonance

Bryant

Mr. Sleepy
Apr 14, 2002
Sweet home Alabama
Visit site
I was flipping through my older stuff on my CD collection and Tesla sparked my interest. I chose their debut "Mechanical Resonance" and I fucked up and put it in !! I have not been able to take it out after my third spin !! Killer release !! Anyone else dig this ?

Bryant

I was flipping through my older stuff on my CD collection and Tesla sparked my interest. I chose their debut "Mechanical Resonance" and I fucked up and put it in !! I have not been able to take it out after my third spin !! Killer release !! Anyone else dig this ?

That's awesome!!! I've just had a "Tesla"-week here as well, hehe ... been listening to several Tesla tunes on Youtube (their "5 man acoustical jam" is sooooooo great). From the debut album my favorite song is "Before My Eyes", as it's such a great moody tune.

c.

What a great album. Great band! It's hard to believe it's been twenty years since MR came out. I'm gonna have to dust that one off and jam to it on the way to work. Good call

I still consider it one of my all time favorites. I really love Into the Now, their most recent stdio album (original) its awesome as well. They are going on tour again soon , I am going to see them in February in SF. their new guitarist fits the band like a glove and has brought back allot of the power and excitement the band had on the late 80's and early 90's.

February 2008
Date Venue City State/Province Country Distance
Fri 2/1/2008 Showbox Seattle WA US 695 mi.
Sat 2/2/2008 Roseland Theater Portland OR US 551 mi.
Tue 2/5/2008 The Big Easy Spokane WA US 740 mi.
Wed 2/6/2008 The Big Easy Boise ID US 526 mi.
Fri 2/8/2008 Fillmore San Francisco CA US 19 mi.
Sat 2/9/2008 Grand Sierra Theatre Reno NV US 191 mi.
Sun 2/10/2008 Redding Convention Center Redding CA US 208 mi.
Wed 2/13/2008 Ogden Theatre Denver CO US 943 mi.
Thu 2/14/2008 Uptown Theatre Kansas City MO US 1497 mi.
Sat 2/16/2008 Pop’s Nightclub Sauget IL US 1738 mi.
Sun 2/17/2008 Cotillion Ballroom Wichita KS US 1355 mi.
Tue 2/19/2008 Cain's Ballroom Tulsa OK US 1450 mi.
Wed 2/20/2008 Val Air Ballroom West Des Moines IA US 1536 mi.
Fri 2/22/2008 Myth North Saint Paul MN US 1592 mi.
Sun 2/24/2008 Club Infinity Williamsville NY US 2297 mi.
Mon 2/25/2008 Dunkin' Donuts Center Providence RI US 2678 mi.
Wed 2/27/2008 The Palace Theater Greensburg PA US 2280 mi.
Thu 2/28/2008 Lifestyle Communities Pavilion Columbus OH US 2103 mi.

March 2008
Date Venue City State/Province Country Distance
Sat 3/1/2008 Piere's Fort Wayne IN US 1986 mi.
Sun 3/2/2008 Bogart's Cincinnati OH US 2033 mi.

I wore out the MR tape when I got it... I think I played it non stop for 6 months. Great album! Too bad they didn't do anything after that lived up to the high standards set by the debut.

I really love The Great Radio Controversy too. I liken it to how Awake was to Images & Words and TGRC is to Mechanical Resonance. Both great albums.

Bear

Bryant

Yep. Count me in. I saw them open for the first post-Van Halen DLR tour, had no idea who they were, wasn't expecting much, and was totally blown away.
Picked the disc up the very next day, and have been a fan ever since.:headbang:

Great album. I got pissed off when I was listening to the radio here several years ago and the DJ said, "...some 80's hair band like Tesla." I said, "WHAT?!" Tesla, escpecially on MR, was very non-hair. They were all jeans and t-shirts.

Tesla was always underrated... I own the discs too... Come on, Modern Day Cowboy totally kicked ass... Little Susie...

wow... I'm flashing back!!!!! :)

Bryant

In my opinion, their best offering is The Great Radio Controversy, but Mechanical Resonance isn't far behind at all.

~Brian~

It's a toss up between "Great Radio Controversy" and "Mechanical Rseonance" for me as to their best album. I agree that calling Tesla "hair metal" is just plain lazy. Does anybody here remember Tora Tora?

I like TGRC a lot as well, but Mechanical Resonance (as Bryant already knows :)) is my favorite, and one of my "desert island" top 10 albums. It never gets old. One of the few albums the old man and I both really enjoy pretty much equally.

Yes, I remember Tora Tora... IIRC, they're the ones I read about actually trying to use the name "Free Beer." Which, for the record, would be a great name for a band IMO. :D

Ha ha ha..... been there done that. I saw them either in Albany or Columbus Georgia. DLR had Vai and Sheehan and they did that steel drum solo thing. I thought Tesla sounded great except for the fact they "panned" the guitars. I could barely hear Tommy as I was in front of Frank. The "stereo effect" only works well when you are in the center.

Bryant

Yep. Count me in. I saw them open for the first post-Van Halen DLR tour, had no idea who they were, wasn't expecting much, and was totally blown away.
Picked the disc up the very next day, and have been a fan ever since.:headbang:

Ha ha ha... well if you look at the video for "Modern Day Cowboy" they had Jeff Keith pretty dolled up. Having said that, I certainly wouldn't put Tesla in the same musical category as Poison and Cinderella etc. I thought MR had a unique blend of being way ahead of it's time with a modern style, yet at the same time it had a "retro" feel to it.

Bryant

Great album. I got pissed off when I was listening to the radio here several years ago and the DJ said, "...some 80's hair band like Tesla." I said, "WHAT?!" Tesla, escpecially on MR, was very non-hair. They were all jeans and t-shirts.