Testament takes a leaf out of Queensryche's book, selling "shares" of a single song

orcslayr23

Jan 30, 2008
CT, USA
Following in the footsteps of Queensryche, you can now own a "share" of a single Testament song: "Native Blood".

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/you-can-now-own-share-of-testament-song-native-blood/

San Francisco Bay Area thrash metal veterans TESTAMENT are giving fans a chance to own shares of the song "Native Blood" from the band's 2012 album "Dark Roots Of Earth".

Before now, the only people who owned songs were music industry insiders. Now, TESTAMENT and the New York Rock Exchange are allowing you to have a piece.

When you buy a share, you'll become a co-owner of "Native Blood" along with singer Chuck Billy, guitarist Eric Peterson, and the band. Not only does this give you the ultimate in bragging rights, you'll also get exclusive shareholder rewards not available to anybody else.

Unlike vinyl, CDs and MP3s, only a limited number of shares will ever be released. There's no better way to own a piece of TESTAMENT's history, and be a part of their future.

"The song is the heart of everything we do," says Peterson. "It's very cool to be able to share that."

"What I feel about [being] one of the first metal bands being offered shares on the New York Rock Exchange, it's actually very exciting for me, being a metal musician of 30 yers, through all the struggles to get metal put on the map," adds Billy. "This is an opportunity to actually get fans around the world to be a part of what I do and what I give out to people and express myself. So I'm very excited to be able to share what my creations are to the world, through the New York Rock Exchange, and get me a little one step closer to all our fans."

Become a TESTAMENT shareholder and get insider exclusives direct from the band. Every "Native Blood" share includes:

* Limited ownership of the song "Native Blood"
* Early access to the new TESTAMENT album coming in 2015
* Invitation to join Chuck and Eric for an exclusive online shareholder meeting.
* Limited-edition print of Chuck's handwritten song lyrics for "Native Blood"
* Foil embossed Certificate Of Ownership to hang on your wall like a gold record

**Important disclaimer**: New York Rock Exchange shares are for entertainment only. They are not securities, and do not provide a financial stake in the music. Your ownership rights are subject to important limitations, and can be revoked.

i'm a huge Testament fan and this is just goofy...."for entertainment purposes only".....who are they kidding, no one owns shit...

To all those saying it sounds stupid, I think they're parodying the Queensryche thing. While also letting some fans get a chance to listen to the new album.

To all those saying it sounds stupid, I think they're parodying the Queensryche thing. While also letting some fans get a chance to listen to the new album.
If they are, it's a really poor parody. Parodies are most typically done of things that are extremely popular. How many people are even aware of what Queensryche is doing? And of that subset, how many of them are going to read through this and get that this is a parody? More likely, it's a money grab even more desperate than Queensryche's.

**Important disclaimer**: New York Rock Exchange shares are for entertainment only. They are not securities, and do not provide a financial stake in the music. Your ownership rights are subject to important limitations, and can be revoked.

george-ah-ha-o.gif

No thanks. As a white man, I wouldn't want to impose my "white man's world" on poor Chuck and own part of his song.

Yea, you tell'em!!!!

If I had a dime for all the times throughout history that the Native Americans have demeaned the white man and tried to hold them down. Way to stick up for the grossly underrepresented will of the white man. :D:devil:

No, this isn't a "Testament" thing. The New York Rock Exchange is an actual, embarrassing thing, and they've had offerings for a dozen or so artists across all genres.

Funny thing is, their FAQ says "We thought it would be cool if you could own a share of a song. It turns out you can't. So we invented one."

But, you can actually own a share of a song, right? Even if there's no existing mechanism in place, it doesn't seem like it would be too hard to draw up a contract that says "for each $100 share you buy, you're entitled to 1% of the future income stream generated by this song". It's just a variation on a record company contract. That should have been what New York Rock Exchange "invented", rather than this dumb fan-club/memorabilia offering.

Somebody must have done that already, right? On Kickstarter or something? Sell shares in their new songs to raise capital in order to make the recordings, and then the investor gets paid based on the success of those songs? I guess that's basically what Queensryche is doing, but this would be a more-specific thing than just investing in "the band".

Maybe it would even be a good way to predict "hits"...the songs people think will be more popular would get their share prices bid up, and we know that prediction markets get more accurate when there is real money involved.

Yea, you tell'em!!!!

If I had a dime for all the times throughout history that the Native Americans have demeaned the white man and tried to hold them down. Way to stick up for the grossly underrepresented will of the white man. :D:devil:

Yea, tell em! White guilt is not something I suffer from.
But thanks!

No, this isn't a "Testament" thing. The New York Rock Exchange is an actual, embarrassing thing, and they've had offerings for a dozen or so artists across all genres.

Funny thing is, their FAQ says "We thought it would be cool if you could own a share of a song. It turns out you can't. So we invented one."

But, you can actually own a share of a song, right? Even if there's no existing mechanism in place, it doesn't seem like it would be too hard to draw up a contract that says "for each $100 share you buy, you're entitled to 1% of the future income stream generated by this song". It's just a variation on a record company contract. That should have been what New York Rock Exchange "invented", rather than this dumb fan-club/memorabilia offering.

Somebody must have done that already, right? On Kickstarter or something? Sell shares in their new songs to raise capital in order to make the recordings, and then the investor gets paid based on the success of those songs? I guess that's basically what Queensryche is doing, but this would be a more-specific thing than just investing in "the band".

Maybe it would even be a good way to predict "hits"...the songs people think will be more popular would get their share prices bid up, and we know that prediction markets get more accurate when there is real money involved.

Couldn't it be a thing like if you pay enough money, you get a songwriting credit and theoretically are entitled to a share of all the royalties? I'm not sure how I think of that, but it is possible.

See, now that is a parody. Of course, I never buy a car without kicking the tires first.

Just the other day I was giving a friend advice for guys and I told her "never go see a movie without watching the trailer" and now I'm vaguely sad someone came up with a better metaphor than me.