TESTAMENT - THE FORMATION OF DAMNATION

edgeofthorns

24 Hours Ago...
Jan 2, 2005
City beneath the surface
How many of you have bought this already? I picked it up yesterday and I'm thoroughly pleased! Without a long drawn out review, I'll just make the following statement. If you've been a long time Testament fan, then I have a hard time believing that you won't dig this new disc. TFOD has all the elements of classic Testament albums like New World Order and Practice What You Preach. Also, as much as I liked Louie Clemente back in the day, I'm sure glad that Paul Bostaph is playing drums on this one! :worship:

What are your opinions?

~Brian~

I think this album has cemented itself in my top 5 for the remaining of the year.

What he said, if you're a long time Testament fan, this album will not disappoint you. If you haven't listened to them in a while this is the album that would get you back.

The song FEAR owns :headbang:

They have been spinning the hell out of a few tracks on Sirius. I have seen them twice in support of this new disc, and all the songs sounded great.

Man, I'm jealous! I've never gotten to see these guys period. :erk: I have met Alex Skolnick at a TSO gig back in 2004, but that's it. I mentioned Testament to him then and he just grinned at me. That was before the band did the Live in London thing, so I guess he knew that we'd be seeing Testament soon.

~Brian~

Picked it up this weekend and also saw them in Chicago. Fantastic show. I enjoyed their performance more than Iced Earth. I look forward to seeing them a few more times this summer.

Love this disc! I purchased it last week when it came out. Right now it is my #1 album of the year ahead of:
#2 Death Angel - Killing Season
#3 Opeth - Watershed
#4 Whitesnake - Good To Be Bad
#5 Hail of Bullets - ...Of Frost And War

TFOD has all the elements of classic Testament albums like New World Order and Practice What You Preach.

Plus some "Gathering" influence as well. This album smokes. As a fan since ~89, I am very pleased with this offering from the band. It seems the return of Skolnick was a good thing. The only track I'm not totally getting into is the title, mainly due to the vocals. I like Chuck's "clean" voice.

I've never been a Testament fan. However, I decided to check out the new disc because I'll be seeing them live in a few weeks. Stylistically the music on The Formation of Damnation is rather bland. While I wouldn't say they sound like any one particular band, they sound no different than a thousand other bands who attempt to blend old school thrash and more modern elements. The songwriting is solid, but again, nothing special. There are a few strong tracks, but the majority are less than noteworthy. In the final analysis, it would seem the greatest differentiator between this disc and a thousand others, of similar quality and style, is the name "Testament" on the cover of the CD.

Zod

How many of you have bought this already? I picked it up yesterday and I'm thoroughly pleased! Without a long drawn out review, I'll just make the following statement. If you've been a long time Testament fan, then I have a hard time believing that you won't dig this new disc. TFOD has all the elements of classic Testament albums like New World Order and Practice What You Preach. Also, as much as I liked Louie Clemente back in the day, I'm sure glad that Paul Bostaph is playing drums on this one! :worship:

What are your opinions?

~Brian~
I second this. Nothing else to say. Testament always delivers quality metal.:headbang:

I've never been a Testament fan. However, I decided to check out the new disc because I'll be seeing them live in a few weeks. Stylistically the music on The Formation of Damnation is rather bland. While I wouldn't say they sound like any one particular band, they sound no different than a thousand other bands who attempt to blend old school thrash and more modern elements. The songwriting is solid, but again, nothing special. There are a few strong tracks, but the majority are less than noteworthy. In the final analysis, it would seem the greatest differentiator between this disc and a thousand others, of similar quality and style, is the name "Testament" on the cover of the CD.

Zod

Stylistically, I think the band has stuck to a formula that's worked for them for years. In my opinion, the music doesn't stray far away from their earlier works, so maybe you need to go back and listen to those. Most of these current thrash bands name Testament as an influence, so maybe they're copying the Testament sound.

~Brian~

Plus some "Gathering" influence as well. This album smokes. As a fan since ~89, I am very pleased with this offering from the band. It seems the return of Skolnick was a good thing. The only track I'm not totally getting into is the title, mainly due to the vocals. I like Chuck's "clean" voice.

Ironically, that's probably why that track truly stands out to me (aside from the music absolutely slaying as well). I think he does a great job with the growls and I'd love to hear more tracks in that vain.

Chuck Billy is one of the very few vocalist that I think sounds good doing both clean and growls, so I like it when he mixes it up.

~Brian~

Stylistically, I think the band has stuck to a formula that's worked for them for years. In my opinion, the music doesn't stray far away from their earlier works, so maybe you need to go back and listen to those. Most of these current thrash bands name Testament as an influence, so maybe they're copying the Testament sound.
Granted, Testament deserves some of the credit for some of the thrash influence that exists today. However, having listened to their earlier works and having listened to this new CD, it's clear to see that they've made an attempt freshen up their sound, by incorporating more modern influences. However, in doing so, they wind up sounding like a a lot bands who were already doing this. Regardless, in my opinion, originality is second to song quality. And in the end, these songs just aren't doing it for me.

Zod

Latest cd brings back the thrash they had(nothing mindblowing but a good CD) with the death-thrash vocals on the Gathering..I expect an even better release next time around(if there is)