Testing Slate VTM - Soft rock

Ermz

¯\(°_o)/¯
Apr 5, 2002
Melbourne, Australia
www.myspace.com
Since the competition is over I figured I might as well put this up here. Was using this song to demo the VTM plug-in, and was generally fairly impressed with how it worked. Tends to really warm up elements and driving the input is like a dynamic 'glue' control for the mix.

The mix itself is probably about 85% finished, but I just left it there due to time constraints!

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/285689/Ermz - Get Up Mix.mp3

I love vtm on cymbals and overheads. My demo just expired but Ill be picking it up soon for sure.
Vocals sound great on this man. Music is just not my thing but I think you did a nice job.

Thanks for listening!

Regarding the vocals, nothing out of the ordinary for me was done. It's all fairly well covered by the mixing guide. I think something along the lines of VTM > VCC > DeEsser > Distressor > Millennia > 1176A > L1 with a paragraphic EQ somewhere for the notchy stuff. I really drove the saturation plug-ins to get as much character from the vox as I could. FX were fairly run of the mill. Stereo widener, wide shallow chorus for backings, lots of various delays and verbs - lots of throws there on the right passage.

I agree with you Nuno. The low-end is not quite right on the mix, which is one of the reasons it's unfinished. If I were to go back to the 'master' process I could probably make it passable, but y'know... as the comp is over there's not really much reason for it. I do think thicker lows and control of some resonant nodes in the guitars and vox would help open the mix up a lot though.

Ermz, have you tried the camel crusher vst for the vocals? If so, what do you think? I think it works pretty well from clean vox to growls. Back to the drums, I liked everything and obviously is very well mixed ( and also sounds very real ), the snare is too compressed for my taste, but it doesn't sound bad. Could you also tell us the name of the band?

Very good mix!

I absolutely enjoyed VTM while demoing it, and what's the most important, the plugin does have it's own character. Listening to the track made me feel the same as I felt when lumbering up my projects with VTM:)

However, I was lucky saving all my money for the band's needs and not buying VTM, and I said "lucky", cos in the end I felt like for me it is much easier to mix without VTM.
Just one thing I feel a bit unfair, with all my respect to Steven Slate, that VTM instances do slight volume boosts while being turned on. The same as VCC brit N. I made my multitrack tests, with bouncing and then volume matching, the VTM mix sounded darker and less transient. I do understand the company's motives, though. Who would buy a plugin, that would sound LESS pleasing (less pleasing = if it won't boost the volume, but make things darker and more lo-fi at the same time)? I can do the same EQ curve without VTM, I can also saturate without that non-linearity if I need. I also do not want to accumulate hiss and tape artifacts like wow and flutter are not the main thing we are waiting from a tape emu to be emulated, right?

All that said, the plugin is still great for it's purposes. I loved it on bass guitar, etc. It might be good for beefing up the thinner mixes with just a turn of a knob (or even less, by just inserting it). But definitely, not a must for us all to sound better, gentlemen.

Ermz this sounds great. You should send me a clip to post on our sites slate@stevenslate.com

The band is cool, great singer. Your guitar tones on this are spot on and drums sound big and deep. Overall sound is dynamic and punchy.

Max, the VTM will add some apparent volume based on how it is set due to the saturation and frequency response.

Cheers,
Steven

No probs Steven. Just give me a chance to remaster it quickly and put back some of the subs. I never quite got the mix 100% how I wanted it, but I'll try to approximate the frequency response a bit better.