Tetragrammatical Astygmata

Astral Poetry

"Eros! Your hand...!"
Mar 21, 2003
"...it's missing!"
New album from Averse Sefira

"This is the triumph of not being distracted from the spirit that black metal expressed, and lived; of bypassing novelty for more precise description; of eschewing purity for a more intricately conflicted emotion; this is the victory (O Govinda) of imagination over exhaustion."

Review

How to find album

Best album of 2005 in my humble opinion

Anus has sunk to new levels of pathetic vocabulary masturbation while eschewing everything except pseudo-intellectual gibberish.

Prozak over-hypes every band he has close contacts with. First Demilich, now Averse Sefira. I think Demilich are really good, but he rants and raves about them like they invented the wheel. Anyway, that Averse Sefira album sounds good though.

Some thoughts:

At first I thought the topic title had something to do with the grammar disease anus.com had.

More importantly, Anus need to:

A) Shut the fuck up.

B) Learn something about music.

C) Actually talk about the music once they learn something about it, instead of whatever philosophy they think musical notes on a page carry.

Thirdly, does anyone know what the hell the album title is trying to say? I've got nothing....

dictionary.com said:
tetragram

n : a word that is written with four letters in an alphabetic writing system

a·stig·ma·tism Pronunciation Key (-stgm-tzm)
n.

A visual defect in which the unequal curvature of one or more refractive surfaces of the eye, usually the cornea, prevents light rays from focusing clearly at one point on the retina, resulting in blurred vision.

10293847 said:
Prozak over-hypes every band he has close contacts with. First Demilich, now Averse Sefira. I think Demilich are really good, but he rants and raves about them like they invented the wheel. Anyway, that Averse Sefira album sounds good though.

I agree to an extent, though Demilich really were that good, and with the new one Averse Sefira are beginning to live up to the hype they receive. Arguably the album of the year - only really rivalled by that of fellow Texans Crimson Massacre.

Tetragrammatical Astygmata is the album title, not something that ANUS said. Anyways, the Tetragram is the supposed "seal of god" in the QBLH, and Astygmata is obviously a play on "stigmata" and "astigmatism"- thus, the title of the album could be said to be something along the lines of "The blindness caused by the stigmata wounds was ordained by jehovah".

When it comes to "using big words", the real issue here is that the band misspelled "inumbrate".

Cynical said:
Tetragrammatical Astygmata is the album title, not something that ANUS said. Anyways, the Tetragram is the supposed "seal of god" in the QBLH, and Astygmata is obviously a play on "stigmata" and "astigmatism"- thus, the title of the album could be said to be something along the lines of "The blindness caused by the stigmata wounds was ordained by jehovah".

Typical. Still sounds like a disease from which anus.com suffers though.

It's fucking awesome that you can write so fluently, beautifully, intelligently, and indecipherably. That's fangoddamntastic. But when you're writing a musical review, TALK ABOUT THE MUSIC. Describe it. That's my only qualm with the anus.com style of review.

Dodens Grav said:
It's fucking awesome that you can write so fluently, beautifully, intelligently, and indecipherably. That's fangoddamntastic. But when you're writing a musical review, TALK ABOUT THE MUSIC. Describe it. That's my only qualm with the anus.com style of review.

The whole review talks about the music. Here's some quotes from it that you may have missed:

"With the latest album from Averse Sefira, the Texan band have sidestepped the temptation to make a "new" form of black metal, and have instead returned it to the primitive hybrid state from which both death and black metal emerged"

"songs begin with dissonant dirges and dissipate, synthesizing direction with a sequence of paired riffs"

"At this point, the song has been a melodic version of the rigidly logical riffs of a Morbid Angel or Slayer, but now expands into a seething harmonization that titrates the sonorous ambient riffs (fast strumming, slow chord change, mid-paced cadence)"

"In the use of pulsating split arpeggiated power chord progressions played off against half-speed resolutions, one can observe the better influences of later blackmetal, namely Antaeus and Deathspell Omega (and Graveland). "

"adroit percussion changing tempo rapidly and guitar riffs that lightfingeredly maintain an internal rhythm that complements but does not echo that of the song as a whole"

It goes on and on and on. Yeah, sometimes he wanders off the point, but what he does is treat music like "real" art and try to explain what he thinks it represents.

I didn't even read this review, I was talking about some of the other reviews on the site.

lord667 said:
The whole review talks about the music. Here's some quotes from it that you may have missed:

"With the latest album from Averse Sefira, the Texan band have sidestepped the temptation to make a "new" form of black metal, and have instead returned it to the primitive hybrid state from which both death and black metal emerged"

"songs begin with dissonant dirges and dissipate, synthesizing direction with a sequence of paired riffs"

"At this point, the song has been a melodic version of the rigidly logical riffs of a Morbid Angel or Slayer, but now expands into a seething harmonization that titrates the sonorous ambient riffs (fast strumming, slow chord change, mid-paced cadence)"

"In the use of pulsating split arpeggiated power chord progressions played off against half-speed resolutions, one can observe the better influences of later blackmetal, namely Antaeus and Deathspell Omega (and Graveland). "

"adroit percussion changing tempo rapidly and guitar riffs that lightfingeredly maintain an internal rhythm that complements but does not echo that of the song as a whole"

It goes on and on and on. Yeah, sometimes he wanders off the point, but what he does is treat music like "real" art and try to explain what he thinks it represents.

What it does is take something by whiny people who don't know much at all technically about music and try to make it sound like a musical masterpiece that's the pinnacle of all music. It bothers me.