Textures - Silhouettes

Amazing album, glad it's streaming on Myspace.
+0.5

It is an awesome album, but damn it I wanted to wait for my own CD without trying it first. Not downloading is easy, but with a full streaming just a click away I can't resist. Besides they're keeping charts on myspace album streams now, & I felt I needed to give my support. Still buying it when it comes out though. \m/

I was listening to it the other day. I wasn't familiar with them before, but like it! It's kind of like Periphery/Meshuggah with some metalcore (which I don't usually like, but it doesn't turn me off so much here) and a little Tool sprinkled here and there.

I have been interested in this band for a while, but have not purchased an album for some reason. How does the new one compare to their previous release Drawing Circles?

IMO Drawing Circles is ALMOST unbeatable, but the new one has a few ups on it. Inclusion of some definitely big Tool influences kind of help them sound a little better, there are some blastbeats and even post rock sounds on this new one. DC had some weird stuff, like random songs being way too short and not developing, but the concept was amazing...I'm gonna need the lyrics of this new one though too.

I almost like this band, there's some great stuff in there, but they employ far too much cheese in the large melodic passages.

...I don't see how having drawn-out, ambient, melodic parts is cheesy in any way.

It isn't cheesy in itself to do parts like that, but this band do them in a very cheesy fashion. Seriously some of the parts sound like Dream Theater or something. And if Dream Theater isn't cheesy, I'll eat my hat.

IMO Drawing Circles is ALMOST unbeatable, but the new one has a few ups on it. Inclusion of some definitely big Tool influences kind of help them sound a little better, there are some blastbeats and even post rock sounds on this new one. DC had some weird stuff, like random songs being way too short and not developing, but the concept was amazing...I'm gonna need the lyrics of this new one though too.

Thanks! Do you think I would be better suited to start with Drawing Circles or Silhouettes?