Thank you, Oyo, Thorns Of... and to whom it may concern...

I disagree on that count too.. what evidence do you have to back up that statement? Sure while some might be I would be willing to be money that at least half are not.. or were not.

Brandon

Originally posted by Autumn Falls
I disagree on that count too.. what evidence do you have to back up that statement? Sure while some might be I would be willing to be money that at least half are not.. or were not.

Brandon

I'm not sure which part of my last post you're replying to. Clarify.

The fact that they are philosophically aligned with prog rock acts.. I just doubt it.. it seems to me A LOT of prog metal guys are old wankers from the eighties who like playing prog metal and listening to Dream Theater.. though the few that shine through really shine through.. it's like I would doubt I would find any IQ, Pendragon or Henry Cow in the collection of most of the prog metal dudes..

Brandon

Most of the Cantebury acts were old psychadelic wankers from the 60's imitating the few truly innovative acts in the scene. The point is that Dream Theater is aligned philosophically more with 70's prog and art rock than with honest to god metal, which means that their clones are similarly aligned, if only be accident and default.

I see the point you are making but I don't believe it exactly. True what you said though about the guys in the seventies.. BTW I don't like much music before 1970 unless it is jazz or classical. Other then that.. there are some VERY amazing progressive bands from a few decades back..

And I think DT has a much larger influence from Rush and Kansas.. then say from Genesis or Jethro Tull.

That's worth taking into consideration.

Brandon

I see the point you are making but I don't believe it exactly. True what you said though about the guys in the seventies.. BTW I don't like much music before 1970 unless it is jazz or classical. Other then that.. there are some VERY amazing progressive bands from a few decades back..

And I think DT has a much larger influence from Rush and Kansas.. then say from Genesis or Jethro Tull.

That's worth taking into consideration.

Brandon

The point is that Dream Theater's primary influences aren't metal, and their own outlook isn't in alignment with metal.

HAHAHAH!! Sorry dude I had to laugh at that one.. Dream Theater's primary influence is without a doubt 100% metal.. those guys are metal to the core.. especially Portnoy.. he's all about like metal and hardcore and crap.. I'm not but I'm cool..

Brandon

HAHAHAH!! Sorry dude I had to laugh at that one.. Dream Theater's primary influence is without a doubt 100% metal.. those guys are metal to the core.. especially Portnoy.. he's all about like metal and hardcore and crap.. I'm not but I'm cool..

Brandon

Their biggest influence is Rush, who are firmly NON-metal, the next biggest influence is Queensryche, who spent the 80's walking the line between metal and non-metal, and their third biggest influence is Kansas, who are DEFINITELY not metal. The philosophical and artistic outlook of their music is fundamentally different from what one sees in a metal band, but dovetails nicely with what one sees in say, Rush.