"That" Stoner/Doom/Sludge sound.

Seizure.

Jul 13, 2005
holland
www.seizure-music.com
heyah people!

lately i've been working at some new challenges, moving a bit towards to stoner kinda sound of things, so i can't aply all the ways i use for putting down modern metal!
Drumagogging, PODs, etc etc..

So i thought maybe some of you guys got some tips for me!

What are some recomdable amps/pedals/effects micing techniques for this kinda genre?
How to go about drumrecording and mixing? any things i should or should not do?
How about basssounds in this genre? fuzzes?
Things i should do different in mastering?

obviously it's still my ears which will give the end during mixing etc, but to smooth the tracking i would like to hear what some of you guys have to say about it!

I personally have found out that i'm actually pretty limited to the modern/rock metal sound, and fund it pretty hard to shake that off while mixing, i still get that moderny feel in it!

any input welcome!

Drum recording? I'd try to capture as much room sound as possible, and don't bother with samples on the drums. Go for natural drum sounds; no clicky death metal kicks, no massive reverbs on the snare, etc. I wouldn't edit the drums to a grid, either. It's not supposed to be precise and mechanical. Search for the Glyn Johns drum micing method. Try that, add close mics and adjust in the mix.

As for guitars, you have a pretty wide range of options, amp-wise. 5150s and Vintage mode on Rectos can do the trick if dialed in right, as they have plenty of mids and bass, but they're not really the favored amps for this style. Old Marshalls are cool, as are Orange, Matamp, Sunn, Sound City, Laney, Hiwatt, even old Voxes and Fenders turned up and hit with a pedal. It's not a modern metal sound at all.

For pedals, the Big Muff is an obvious choice, though any fuzz will work. An OD and a Fuzz in series into a relatively clean amp is cool for this sound.

Power tube distortion is ok here, so don't be afraid to turn the amps up past the point at which you're not getting any more volume, just saturation and compression. This style is played very, very, very loud.

Bass? Fender P or J into Ampeg tube head- SVT, V4, etc. turned up. 8x10s, 15s, crank the amp until you're driving it into distortion. Hit it with a fuzz pedal (the Big Muff is great on bass, stoner rock or not). Mic the amps. Forget the DI, unless you're just using it to get extreme lows. It shouldn't be the main sound. Non-master volume Marshalls are occasionally used on bass here as well. Superbass or Superlead, run through a 4x12, old-school style.

if youre not into the big muff sound, id say try the dam meathead, maybe with the dam sonic titan. they are both excellent pedals, and there arent many people making pedals like they do. i tried the sonic titan and it was an amazing, amazing pedal, but you couldnt use it for all applications. it had a character you couldnt dial out..much like many other reputable pieces of gear of course.

for drumsounds maybe try the ludwig kits on dfhs??

for those dam pedals..check this site.
www.stompboxes.co.uk