The 69 Eyes - recommendations?

edgeofthorns

24 Hours Ago...
Jan 2, 2005
City beneath the surface
I picked up "Devils" from the 69 Eyes a few months ago, but that's as far as my look into the band went. I noticed that I could pick up about every release of theirs from Best Buy today. With that said, what are considered 69 Eyes' essential purchases?

~Brian~

Try "Blessed Be.." . It's a hits package that spans the bands career. Personally, I find all of the cds to be worthy of some time and money. I can say this with certainty: "The Chair" is a cool, cool song and video.

I'd concur with Devils being the best I've heard so far. I like The 69 Eyes a lot, partly for personal/friends reasons.

Looking forward to seeing them here in a few weeks, if I can make it. They were excellent opening for Cradle of Filth and almost stole the show....in fairness, though, Dani and Sara were both quite ill that night.

I'd concur with Devils being the best I've heard so far. I like The 69 Eyes a lot, partly for personal/friends reasons.

Looking forward to seeing them here in a few weeks, if I can make it. They were excellent opening for Cradle of Filth and almost stole the show....in fairness, though, Dani and Sara were both quite ill that night.

Fair to Midland are one of the openers on that tour. They're in New York TONIGHT, dammit. But footage I've seen of them live should prove they're a band to really watch. High energy Athletics,and bizarre dance movements. Plus, kickass songs.

That'll be in Atlanta on July 7th. Wednesday 13 are on the tour too

I caught that Cradle Tour while I was in Miami at the Revolution in Ft. Lauderdale, 69 eyes played a good show there too. The only problem is there was a line like 4 blocks long looping around the parking lot like it was six flags or something. For a second wished I was back in Atlanta since we usually don't get crowds that large, pretty sad.

Since it was last minute I got tickets at the box office and the thing that really surprised me is they just had this ticketbastard system or something in tune with it and still charged me the processing fees. Is this like that everywhere? It's the only time I've picked up tickets at the BO as I usually get them in advance. Kinda defeats the purpose and was wondering if The Roxy would be the same if I got tickets day of the show at the BO?

It depends on what period you are looking for in regards to 69 Eyes - their early sleaze/glam stuff or their later goth (yes, I said it) stuff. I like their earlier material ("Angels" seems a bit of a throwback to this stuff with the goth elements downplayed), but for obvious reasons I prefer their gothic rock albums. "Devils" is good, and I am also partial to "Paris Kills." A lot of people like "Blessed Be," which is not their best-of album. Their greatest hits collection is called "Framed in Blood," and that might be your best overall bet since it shows them ranging from a Finnish take on Hollywood sleaze rock to more Mission UK type material.

I had no idea what Fair to Midland, but if Ben likes them then that is a mark of quality to me. Another band on the bill is Night Kills the Day, which is one of the currently in vogue bastard sons of Joy Division. Which works for me. Wednesday 13 should also be good, this is obviously a guy who is having fun with his music.

It depends on what period you are looking for in regards to 69 Eyes - their early sleaze/glam stuff or their later goth (yes, I said it) stuff. I like their earlier material ("Angels" seems a bit of a throwback to this stuff with the goth elements downplayed), but for obvious reasons I prefer their gothic rock albums. "Devils" is good, and I am also partial to "Paris Kills." A lot of people like "Blessed Be," which is not their best-of album. Their greatest hits collection is called "Framed in Blood," and that might be your best overall bet since it shows them ranging from a Finnish take on Hollywood sleaze rock to more Mission UK type material.

I had no idea what Fair to Midland, but if Ben likes them then that is a mark of quality to me. Another band on the bill is Night Kills the Day, which is one of the currently in vogue bastard sons of Joy Division. Which works for me. Wednesday 13 should also be good, this is obviously a guy who is having fun with his music.

Ah, yep. You are right. I mistakenly called "Blessed Be" the hits cd. THAT is the one with "The Chair" that I like so much. Sorry for the misinformation! :loco:

They DID steal the show.

Ah, yep. You are right. I mistakenly called "Blessed Be" the hits cd. THAT is the one with "The Chair" that I like so much. Sorry for the misinformation! :loco:

That's ok...for some fans, "Blessed Be" IS their greatest hits comp ;)

"The Chair" is good, though, as is "Brandon Lee."

Nice to see so many fans here! Here's my order of their discs:
Blessed Be
Paris Kills
Angels
Wrap Your Troubles in Dreams
Devilsac
Bump 'n Grind
Savage Garden
Wasting the Dawn
Motor City Resurrection

Some other recommendations:
Entwine
My Sixth Shadow
Malice In Wonderland
Saralee
Anathema
Dir en Grey
Shadow Reichenstein \m/

EDIT: and in case anyone doesn't know these already:
Moonspell
Paradise Lost

Since it was last minute I got tickets at the box office and the thing that really surprised me is they just had this ticketbastard system or something in tune with it and still charged me the processing fees. Is this like that everywhere? It's the only time I've picked up tickets at the BO as I usually get them in advance. Kinda defeats the purpose and was wondering if The Roxy would be the same if I got tickets day of the show at the BO?

Hmm, I wouldn't have thought so, but....what you just reported kinda disturbs me. TM might require them to charge the fees (except, presumably, the 'mailing fee') just to keep things on par.....otherwise, heaven forfend, people might actually Buy Tickets At the Box Office.

There were a fair number of people buying tickets for Rush at the box office at Lakewood.....wish I'd asked them how much the fees were. I suspect that if they hand you a printed glossy ticket with "Ticketmaster" on it, they're gonna assess an extra fee for -something.- (Whereas at the Masquerade, if you buy at the BO, they either just stamp your hand or give you a dinky paper ticket...and don't charge a fee.)

Fair to Midland are one of the openers on that tour. They're in New York TONIGHT, dammit. But footage I've seen of them live should prove they're a band to really watch. High energy Athletics,and bizarre dance movements. Plus, kickass songs.

And you weren't there?! Wow.

That'll be in Atlanta on July 7th. Wednesday 13 are on the tour too

Yep, I'm scrapping my plans to stay up in Tennessee over that weekend....I'll consider going to that show instead. Seems like I've met that Eric guy from Wednesday 13 at the Oscars in Hollywood a few years ago, if it's the same guy (from Murderdolls?) I'm thinking of.

Nice to see so many fans here! Here's my order of

Some other recommendations:
Entwine
My Sixth Shadow
Malice In Wonderland
Saralee
Anathema
Dir en Grey
Shadow Reichenstein \m/

EDIT: and in case anyone doesn't know these already:
Moonspell
Paradise Lost

Keep in mind, I don't like growling. Does any of the above bands have that element in their music? That's why I'm finding myself liking To/Die/For, 69 Eyes, Saviour Machine, and Poisonblack so much. Poisonblack has been kickin' my butt this week! :headbang:

~Brian~

I would probably agree with you 5 years ago about the growling, but it's slowly but surely grown on me. The thing is most good bands these days the growling is not growling for the sake of growling, I actually see it as just another instrument and the it adds and flows well to the rest of the music, I don't try to understand or make out the lyrics. The more growling stuff you listen too the more you start to see little idiosyncrasies that distinguish those bands. It's actually quite beautiful if done well.

I can also understand the stigma usually associated with growling vocals is a turn off to most, I don't think listening to it will turn you into Varg Vikernes(if you say it 3 times in front of a mirror he will get you!),though sheeple are sheeple no matter who is doing the programming I suppose.

I notice that alot of the newer stuff out there though is starting to incoporate growling, even the latest offering from Kamelot had a song with some growls in it if I'm not mistaken.

I notice that alot of the newer stuff out there though is starting to incoporate growling, even the latest offering from Kamelot had a song with some growls in it if I'm not mistaken.

The Black Halo had a little in it, but there's none to be heard on The Ghost Opera. So basically you're saying, if it's shoved down my throat enough, I'll get use to it? :lol: I tried it over and over again, but I just don't dig it man. The new After Forever has a ton of growling in it, but I love the album regardless! Why you ask? Floor's power and finesse overpowers the growling in my opinion. :headbang:

~Brian~

Keep in mind, I don't like growling. Does any of the above bands have that element in their music?

The 69 Eyes albums are growl-free. Moonspell and Paradise Lost are a different story because it depends on which albums you listen to. Moonspell's "Darkness and Hope" is growl-free from what I can remember, buttheir earlier and later material is filled with pseudo-death vocals. Paradise Lost had death vocals up until, I would say "Icon," but the vocals were still rough. After that the vocals went clean, but keep in mind that some of their albums weren't heavy, or even metal. albums ("Host" in particular). Same with Anathema - they aren't metal anymore but the vocals are clean FWIW (the early material had harshvocals).

Of course, I'll put in a good word for the best gothic metal band to date, Katatonia. Again, the earlier material had death vox but the newer material has exclusively clean vocals - and the songs are better, too. Jonas Renske has a beautiful singing voice. Grab "Tonight's Decision."

And Entwine is great stuff. I love what I have heard from their most recent album and "diEversity" is aweosme IMO.

Edgeofthorns, you're a good guy and make sure you ask my opinion then you start thinking, "hey, these death vocals aren't so bad" ;)