The 69 Eyes - recommendations?

The preceding has been a paid advertisement on behalf of the band HIM. Any use of copyrighted names and titles will be subject to prosecution. Please use HIM responsibly.

:D

HIM layed the ground for the finnish metal world.

I disagree - I think that honor goes to Sentenced. Before all the Bam stuff started, I would describe HIM to people as "Sentenced as a pop band." HIM and most of their followers sound like the took the more melodic parts of Sentenced and ran with them. HIM has been more successful, but I think Sentenced is where that dark, melodic Finnish sound started.

As for 69 Eyes, you nailed a large part of their appeal to me. During the 1980's, I listened to the harder Hollywood sleaze/glam like L.A. Guns and Faster Pussycat. During the 1990's, I began gravitating towards dark alternative rock like The Cure and the Sisters of Mercy. 69 Eyes grabbed both of those influences and tossed them together, so their uptempo rockers are more like the sleaze/glam bands, but their slower ballads are more like gothic rock songs. It's the best of both worlds for me.

If "Dead Lovers Lane," even in scratchy bootleg live form, is any indication, I do agree that "Venus Doom" will be HIM's finest album to date.

Wow, thanks for the comments everyone! I actually checked out HIM's Dark Light disc this weekend and liked what I heard. I was just able to take 30 second samples, but it sounds like something I can get into.

Derek, I'll check out the Opeth album that you so subtley plugged for me. :)

Magius, I might just be slippin'! :)

~Brian~

"Still Life" is the album that broke death vocals to me, but "Blackwater Park" might be an even better gateway for you. In Flames softened me up a little but it was Opeth that really got me to appreciate death metal vocals.

That'd be "Blackwater Park," of course. --And that was the CD that broke death vocals for me for good.

Serves me right for typing without paying attention and after looking at my book collection. Of course, "Algernon Blackwood Park" would be hella awesome.

The only thread I could find on these guys.... bump!

THE 69 EYES - UNIVERSAL MONSTER “MAKING OF” TRAILER PART 2 STREAMING

"...Helsinki's The 69 Eyes will release thei, 12th studio album on April 22nd via Nuclear Blast. It's called Universal Monsters and contains eleven brand-new Finnish gothic hymns. To bridge the gap until the album is unleashed, the band have launched the second “making of” trailer. Watch both parts below..."

“It’s been some 15 years since we recorded Blessed Be and Paris Kills albums with producer Johnny Lee Michaels here in Helsinki. You can consider Universal Monsters as a follow-up to those records. Nobody makes this kind of music anymore.”

The cover art - there will be five individual ones - can be seen below.

The first single, “Jet Fighter Plane”, from the upcoming record has been released. The band have also created a music video for the song with director Ville Juurikkala.

The69EyesUniversalMonsters.jpg

THE 69 EYES - UNIVERSAL MONSTER “MAKING OF” TRAILER PART 3 STREAMING

THE 69 EYES - UNIVERSAL MONSTER “MAKING OF” TRAILER PART 4 STREAMING

Part 5:

Part 6:

Last edited: