The Absolute Beginner’s Roadmap to a Successful Home Studio

i read your other one brian, the self destructive band one, again, a good read. It's like having a conversation, in that you are talking about stuff i'm aware of already but it's giving different perspectives and making me think about it more, as opposed to an instructional blog. Definitely worth a read.

The one thing i'd love to see you write about is, how you achieved working with so many clients from outside the city/state where you are based. I work a lot and i'm always busy, but it's always bands from within a specific geographical distance, does it just come with an online presence and better mixes?:lol:

There's a bit of profanity for something that's supposed to be read as a professional to a beginner kind of thing. I swear a lot, and wasn't bothered- but that's just something I got from it. I guess feedback or whatever.

Specifically:

"I once had a band ask me to “pan one snare sample left and one right” in their mix, to “widen the snare”. This is the kind of faggotry you have to say no to."

I guess with further posts I'd be careful with stuff like that since it may be in your best interest to remain pretty neutral with sharing stuff like that, or wording it like that. idk. I can see this getting around and offending someone who may have worked with you or might be considering working with you. It does read naturally like I'm assuming how you just are as a person. So the language is whatever. Thanks for taking the time to write and share this dude!

Could you add in the next part the sites you used to download cracked software? I'm feeling like pirating melodyne.

There's a bit of profanity for something that's supposed to be read as a professional to a beginner kind of thing. I swear a lot, and wasn't bothered- but that's just something I got from it. I guess feedback or whatever.

Specifically:

"I once had a band ask me to “pan one snare sample left and one right” in their mix, to “widen the snare”. This is the kind of faggotry you have to say no to."

I guess with further posts I'd be careful with stuff like that since it may be in your best interest to remain pretty neutral with sharing stuff like that, or wording it like that. idk. I can see this getting around and offending someone who may have worked with you or might be considering working with you. It does read naturally like I'm assuming how you just are as a person. So the language is whatever. Thanks for taking the time to write and share this dude!

Agreed.
At worst you could sound off as a homophobe, at best you come off as 13 year old 4chan user.

I can see that but it's not necessarily homophobic since with internet vernacular these days it can mean that someone is insistently being outwardly stupid/uptight. I've said it like that before, even on here. That aside though, it may come off immature and ignorant just from a professional standpoint- as I'm sure I have.

Like Sturgis, for example. I can't take him seriously with how he presents himself with social media. Attitudes like that I feel appeals most to Podfarm/Kontact kids. If that makes sense. It would be a bummer to see Brian have a similar reputation when he was just being himself. I just opened a place a few weeks ago and I realized I really have to watch what I say and do around clients. Brian is way farther head of me so I know he has more on the line with his reputation.

But like I said, just feedback.

I agree regarding the language thing. Kind of made me not want to read it anymore, to be honest. Good points in the article though.

I can see that but it's not necessarily homophobic since with internet vernacular these days it can mean that someone is insistently being outwardly stupid/uptight. I've said it like that before, even on here. That aside though, it may come off immature and ignorant just from a professional standpoint- as I'm sure I have.

Doesn't mean it's okay to use that kind of language, and don't forget where the words came from. Just because every 11 year old on Xbox Live uses it to mean something else doesn't mean it's not unprofessional and insulting. It may not be meant as homophobic, but it's still pretty offensive and derived from a very specific meaning.

This is the only forum I visit where the word faggot or it's derivatives cause commotion. lul

I think most words people use these days used to mean something else, the word "cool" or "bastard" for example, the list is almost endless.

The word faggot has been used in English since the late 16th century as an abusive term for women, particularly old women,[9] and reference to homosexuality may derive from this,[8][10] as female terms are often used with reference to homosexual or effeminate men (cf. nancy, sissy, queen). The application of the term to old women is possibly a shortening of the term "faggot-gatherer", applied in the 19th century to people, especially older widows, who made a meagre living by gathering and selling firewood.[10] It may also derive from the sense of "something awkward to be carried" (compare the use of the word baggage as a pejorative term for old people in general).

Bundle of Wood: Especially used for burning heretics (emblematic of this from 1550s), so that phrase fire and faggot was used to indicate "punishment of a heretic". Heretics who recanted were required to wear an embroidered figure of a faggot on their sleeve, as an emblem and reminder of what they deserved.

I don't think we should get all "butt-hurt" over words (which would make us fags), you have no right to not be offended.

This is the only forum I visit where the word faggot or it's derivatives cause commotion. lul

This is the only forum I visit where someone wouldn't get torn apart for using it. :lol:

Obviously we're all going to have different levels of what we're comfortable with and what we find offensive, but regardless the point that it comes across as unprofessional is pretty accurate across the board, I think.

Great post. Very refreshing language as well, direct and to the point, like reading from an actual person.

I think most words people use these days used to mean something else, the word "cool" or "bastard" for example, the list is almost endless.

The word faggot has been used in English since the late 16th century as an abusive term for women, particularly old women,[9] and reference to homosexuality may derive from this,[8][10] as female terms are often used with reference to homosexual or effeminate men (cf. nancy, sissy, queen). The application of the term to old women is possibly a shortening of the term "faggot-gatherer", applied in the 19th century to people, especially older widows, who made a meagre living by gathering and selling firewood.[10] It may also derive from the sense of "something awkward to be carried" (compare the use of the word baggage as a pejorative term for old people in general).

Bundle of Wood: Especially used for burning heretics (emblematic of this from 1550s), so that phrase fire and faggot was used to indicate "punishment of a heretic". Heretics who recanted were required to wear an embroidered figure of a faggot on their sleeve, as an emblem and reminder of what they deserved.

I don't think we should get all "butt-hurt" over words (which would make us fags), you have no right to not be offended.

How the word was used hundreds of years ago is of no relevance, 9 out of 10 times the word is used today it's in a homophobic manner.

It was more a response to this:

"I can see that but it's not necessarily homophobic since with internet vernacular these days it can mean that someone is insistently being outwardly stupid/uptight."

Meaning, the word used to mean something, then it meant something else, now it means something else yet again, maybe in 50 years time it will be used as a complement, who knows...............who cares.

Guys, I am not homophobic, but I am not exactly "professional". I word this blog how I talk in pretty much any conversation. I cuss A LOT, I don't take myself seriously, and I am not "politically correct". I honestly don't see how you can record bands full time an NOT cuss like a sailor. Band dudes have some of the most fucked up vocabularies of any other group on this earth.

I am, however, honest about myself and I don't hide how I am just to appear to be more "professional". I want this blog to be fairly entertaining for my typical reader, and unfortunately that will not be liked by everyone. If it bothers you, I understand. There are plenty of other "clean" blogs to read out there.

While I may be immature, I can assure you that I will never make a fake account on here to "talk myself up or" defend myself (for those who were part of that train wreck Bendeth thread).

I don't think calling someone a "fag" is any more homophobic than calling someone a "pussy" is vaginaphobic

When you call someone a "dick" you don't actually mean they're a penis, nor do you have anything against penises............you're not a penophobe

I don't really use the word myself (it's a bit too faggy for me :loco:) but I really don't see a problem. I guess if you called a gay guy a fag it's a different story, like if you had to tell a girl to stop being such a dumb bitch in a serious sittuaion it's one thing, but telling your bud to stop being such a dumb bitch while he's dying in CoD or whatnot is something completely different

When I read that it made me laugh and made me feel like it was something that like a friend of mine wrote. 90% of people in bands ive met talk like that, including myself and most people I know. I also knew after reading it that some stuck up dweeb would be offended by it. Its just slang, people have been talking like that for decades and it will never go away. You probably wouldnt even have noticed it if this was posted like pre 2010 when everyone decided everything is offensive.