The Abyss- The Other Side

Decepticon

Nov 29, 2003
Visit site
Does anyone else love this album as much as I do??? With the exception of the last song and the Celtic Frost cover, it's one of the greatest albums ever made IMO.

>>At least quality is on the same level as in Hypocrisy
I think, it's not the quality of the recording that matters, but the atmosphere and the mood that listening to the Abyss' music provides. I listen to it with great pleasure, but of course I have other black-stuff to listen to

NO SHIT!!!!!!!

"The Other Side" is my favorite true black metal album. I'm not a big fan of raw black metal, but THIS is the perfect album...."Summon the beast" didn't really pull me like "The Other Side" did though. I'm going to give it a 2nd chance though and see if it grows on me.

THE BEST PART ABOUT THE ABYSS,.....they don't use those annoying "verse-chorus-verse-chorus" building blocks. Man I fuckin HATE that shit. For example, DARKTHRONE...they have a lot of good riffs, and the first couple minutes sound good,....but they just repeat the same parts OVER and OVER and OVER again. MANIAC BUTCHER and several other black metal bands do the same shit.

I thought black metal was suppose to be about going AGAINST the trends. "Vs-chorus-Vs-chorus" is about as trendy as it gets!!!!!! They should throw in break parts, switch up the song format and be more creative with the structure.....Either that, or just do it grindcore style and only have 1 to 2 minute songs. "The other side" does NOT follow the Vs-Chrous building blocks which keeps me, the listener, interested and doesn't fuzz me to sleep like Darkthrone.

If anyone knows of any GOOD black metal like THE ABYSS that DOESN'T follow the same fuckin boring typical Vs-Chorus song structure, please let me know. I'd like to hear more shit like this!

the abyss are amazing!! just scored a 'summon the beast' t-shirt a few months ago :D

its a bootleg i got off ebay, they pop up periodically.
but be warned: size L is like a medium

its one of those overly shrinkable fabrics, but the printing is great quality

Yeah, I have an Abyss: Summon the Beast long sleeve shirt. You can bet I'm the only person here (where I live) who has that shirt, let alone knows who they are. I wore it to see Hypocrisy a few months back and kept having people come up to me asking where the hell I got it, then I told them it was the same members of Hypocrisy just switching roles...they flipped. I was into Hypocrisy way back when they first began, and have liked everything they have done, including side projects. I love both Abyss albums. I only wish they would play a song live sometime. Preferably "Satans Majetic Empire" or "Tjanare af Besten". Some of my fav BM of all time.