The Amen Corner

pac1288

El Jefe
Dec 1, 2001
California
Visit site
Man does this song kick ass or what?

I used to not like this song a long time ago ,but man I just love this song now and have for quite a long while.

I especially like that little acoustic part in the middle of the song it just sounds so nice and mellow. Oh and that last couple of minutes are just amazing!Just so energetic and incredible!

Great song.

I think this was the 3rd opeth song i downloaded, after To Bid You Farewell and uhhhhhh. i cant remember the other one...something off Still Life i think.. but id also heard Godheads Lament only once. And yeh i heard The Amen Corner and didnt like it, something about it... i just felt kinda plain and lacked the great heights and depths of the other songs, and it was a bit more 'underground' sounding than what i had previously heard so i guess that turned me off.

But of course the song grew on me and now i love it, although i still dont count it as their best, still parts of that song that sound plain to me.

This song is one of the most heavy on the album, and it's just great! It was also the first Opeth song my mum ever heard - she hated it, of course, but it was funny to watch her expressions as the song progressed.

All together now: "White SUMMEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRR..." :D

Amen Corner is my favorite song off MAYH! I love the heavy intro riff, then how just one bar of aoustic bass, then back to the elctrics! Just briliant. I also love the clea vox part and how it switches from vocals, guitar solo, vocals, guitar solo. Great song!

Originally posted by pac1288
Man does this song kick ass or what?

I used to not like this song a long time ago ,but man I just love this song now and have for quite a long while.

I especially like that little acoustic part in the middle of the song it just sounds so nice and mellow. Oh and that last couple of minutes are just amazing!Just so energetic and incredible!

Great song.

You'll find there are a lot of people here who agree that the amen corner is the coolest opeth tune, and everyone has pretty much the same experience with it, it took them a long time to appreciate it (the same can also be said to some extent for mayh on the whole).

The celestial touch from grey to black...

Satori

I think When is my fave track from MAYH... Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love them all... but When is excellent! And I love the lyrics to the very last part...

When can I take yooou from this plaaaace.... La la laaaaaa...

Originally posted by Saphira
I think When is my fave track from MAYH... Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love them all... but When is excellent! And I love the lyrics to the very last part...

When can I take yooou from this plaaaace.... La la laaaaaa...

Yes, When is a great song!

I have played that song so many times its unbelievable,and I'm still not bored of the song its as interesting to me as it was in the beginning.

I agree totally. I listened to MAYH tonight after a long spell without Opeth, and it just hit really hit me. I think it's now probably my favorite Opeth album. I am glad I decided to listen to it tonight. :)

Originally posted by OpethianSoul
I agree totally. I listened to MAYH tonight after a long spell without Opeth, and it just hit really hit me. I think it's now probably my favorite Opeth album. I am glad I decided to listen to it tonight. :)

You know I could relate to this.

I also went a long period of time with-out listening to Opeth, then I pulled out MAYH and I was in love again.

I like the fact how they pulled out a twisted song like this after the ultra-melodic direction of the first two albums. Amen Corner is just one big build-up from beginning to end, bringing out more and more emotions as the song progresses. The ending must be their heaviest ever.

Great tune on a brilliant album, I believe JesusChristPose said it best, “MAYH is untouchable, so fuck off!”

MAYH is quite difficult to get into, it takes prolonged listens to appreciate. But no one seems to have mentioned Demon Of The Fall! It fucking destroys all in its path!

Originally posted by Stinkfist
I saw a CD yesterday by a band called The Amen Corner. Do you thik Mikael named it after them, like he did with Blackwater Park?
I thought it was only albumtitles that he "takes" from other bands' lyrics, not titles for individual songs, but I can't say for sure.